PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Volvo navigation system??

coastal
10-24-2001, 08:52 PM
I asked this over at SwedeSpeed a while back and though we had a discussion about GPS nav systems in general, we couldn't find anyone who actually owned the Volvo system. Anyone have one here?

Opinions? Any changes for the 2002 system?

Art
10-24-2001, 09:27 PM
Hey Coastal, I don't have one myself, but I wonder if they have the mapping software for Canada yet? Would you consider getting one if they did? Another feature that intrigues me is the hands-free cellular phone kit available for all models, especially the cool looking mic that extends out from the driver side headrest. :cool:

coastal
10-24-2001, 09:33 PM
I'm pretty sure the software is available. My dealer had an customer's S60 in the shop which had it installed, I just got a quick peek.

A friend has the BMW Navigation system in his 5 series and overall I think it's quite a nice setup. Aside from a poor input device and a touch too small a screen, overall I'm quite impressed with it as their first try.

But that's the BMW system. I haven't had the chance to play with the Volvo system yet.

I think for now I'd rather get a nice laptop with a GPS attachment, that is until the GPS systems are more proven and cost effective. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

kaminaga
10-24-2001, 11:00 PM
No member of our XC club has a Volvo navigation sytem. Because the Volvo navigation system is too expensive!!.
We can buy much better system with less money in Japan.
(I don't have any navigation system.) The 2002 volvo system uses DVD instead of CD in Japan.

coastal
10-24-2001, 11:17 PM
I agree with your kaminaga... it's very expensive, but soooo cool! Plus, you can retrofit the screen to watch television.

Art.. do you know if the cel phone feature is available in Canada?  I like the idea of it too. Mastiha's got it and has told me all about it... I'm quite jealous! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Art
10-24-2001, 11:49 PM
Don't know for sure Coastal. I've just seen the kit in one of the accessories brochures. However, the on back cover of the brochure, Volvo Cars of Canada along with Volvo Cars of North America is clearly listed. It has a feature that allows both callers to speak at the same time. It's a real unique setup and I don't know of any other car company that has a similar system.

Art
10-25-2001, 08:02 AM
Found out the mapping software is currently available only in Vancouver, Montreal, or Toronto. Oh well.. I guess for now I'll stick to my &#364.00 map of Calgary. :cheesy:

adanista
12-06-2001, 03:41 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have the nav sys on my used XC 2001. It didn't take long to master, works amazingly well and has maps for all of Canada as far as I've seen. As well, on a recent trip into N. Vt. it showed my position on the main roads. I think its pretty sharp. James Bond appeal is definitely a plus.

Not sure I would have added it as an option, but since it came with my car, (Volvo Canada exec demo 16,000 Km), I'm quite pleased.

Igor
12-06-2001, 06:49 PM
I have the navigation system.
It is quite cool and accurate 99.9% of the time. :cool:
Should've waited for the DVD in '02 though...

Aemsn
12-07-2001, 05:55 AM
I have seen and testet the 2001 navigation system here in germany as well as I have a test of this system by a german navigation newspaper.

The system is very flexible and fast, and has some features other systems can dream of. Only a few disadvantages in the test - one important was that a flexible rerouting was not possible when TMC is enabled (I don't know if TMC is available in the states). The magazine test gave on of the best ratings ever for this system (test is from 2000).

There are some changes for the 2002 model. One is the larger screen (6,5" , 16:9) and some feature enhancements in the navigation system (maybe the problem with rerouting and TMC is solved here, I don't know). DVD is integrated, and there is only one CD for complete Europe area. That's nice, normally you need to buy a CD for every country for about &#36100.

If someone is interested in the test of the navigation system (german only :-)) ), please send me a mail.

Ciao
 Armin

pveatx
12-12-2001, 05:00 PM
I have the navigation system on my Netherlands spec 2001 XC. It is wonderful. I have a CD-ROM for the Netherlands that navigates down to street number in most towns in the Netherlands (it says: "You have reached your destination" only when I drive into my driveway).

I bought additional CD-ROMs for France and Germany which fit into a CD-changer in the boot (in the left side panel, does not intrude) and can navigate all the way...

My wife doesn't give me incorrect driving instructions anymore, we don't fight anymore and she can just read when we drive at high speed.

The best thing is the TMC (or Traffic Message Centre). It works well in Holland and parts of Germany, but the infrastructure is not everywhere yet. Basically TMC is a central radio system operating in the FM band which sends digital representation of all traffic jams, road works etc in a particular area. A separate radio receiver in the car receives these messages and feeds them to the Navigation system. They show up as yellow and red arrows on the roads of your map on the screen. You can select them and read what's up.

Better yet, if your route-planner has selected a route, and a traffic message (a jam) appears, the system offers to find you a new route. In Holland, where traffic is really dense, this does mean your system occasionally floods with red arrows, and it cannot find alternative routes.

I find it the most wonderful feature of my car. It really stumps Mercedes and BMW drivers without this feature (that, and the way the screen rises). It is the best investment I ever made... When going to a business appointment I do not need to worry about where to go, looking for a parking garage, or finding my way about in a strange town. I couldn't live without it anymore.

Peter

Art
12-18-2001, 02:21 PM
I've recently read that the price on Volvo's new DVD Nav. system has dropped around 600 USD and that it comes with a wider screen. Still an expensive upgrade but tempting nonetheless. Has anyone considered having one installed?

Aemsn
12-21-2001, 03:45 AM
Hopefully my 2002 XC Ocean Race will arrive mid March - Navigation included. As soon as I have it I will post a test and some pictures.

Ciao
 Armin

stevel0923
12-02-2002, 01:55 PM
The Volvo DVD-GPS unit goes for $1800 which is way too expensive for an accessory. Instead, I have a Garmin Streetpilot III deluxe GPS which provides real-time address-to-address routing. The neat thing about the portable Garmin is that you can use it anywhere else like another car, the airplane, or a hiking trip. It has voice instruction which provides very detailed instructions on how to get from place to place. And if you go off the beaten path, no problem, the Streetpilot will recalculate the best route.
http://www.garmin.com/graphics/splllPIC.jpg
For our trip to Europe, I already bought the European CD-ROM maps and I plan on renting a car to drive around France. I would have enjoyed driving our new Volvo from Sweden to France instead but the OSD program provided direct shipment if we purchase the car before the end of the year. So we'll just use our two free round trip tickets to visit France directly. The street price for the Streetpilot Deluxe is around $720 with complete CD maps of the US and Canada.

MichaelF
12-20-2002, 10:59 AM
I've finally had enough of crap flying all over the car and would finally like to do something about it - a big part of that would be to get rid of the Streetpilot III and all the cables normally associated with that.  Unfortunately, a call into my dealer puts the DVD Navigation system from Volvo installed at $3950 US!!!!  Ouch.

Anyone know of something that might change that for a 2002 XC?

Thanks,

Michael

pico de luuks
12-20-2002, 11:26 AM
What happened to the good old map reading skills.... http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Art
12-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Maps are fine if you have someone beside you in the passenger seat to assist in navigation. Otherwise, for solo driving, I really like the idea of the onboard nav systems that you now see popping up in many late model cars. Even the Honda Accord has a pretty decent one. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

As Michael pointed out, it's is a pretty hefty price to pay just to get you from point A to point B. Best to factory order it with your car and save a few $$$.

Big
12-20-2002, 12:51 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pveatx @ Dec. 12 2001)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have the navigation system on my Netherlands spec 2001 XC. It is wonderful. ... It is the best investment I ever made... I couldn&#39;t live without it anymore.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
We could have used such a system when cycling there. So many cycle tracks it&#39;s easy to get lost&#33; &#60;&#33;--emo&amp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/hehe.gif
A few questions if I may, since my dealer doesn&#39;t know much about them and doesn&#39;t have one to show me. Sorry for so many questions but if you can answer some of them I&#39;d appreciate it&#33; http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
1. I assume there is a built-in GPS receiver in the car. How well does it work in tree cover or downtown among tall buildings?
2. How is the database stored and how big of an area does it cover? Can it be updated or switched to a different area?
3. Does it have any waypoint features like handheld GPS receivers? For example, can you add a waypoint to the database, specify a destination with the lat-lon coordinates rather than an address, and calculate distances?
4. Can the display show compass direction instead of roads? (We frequently travel on low-level roads that are not on most maps.)
5. How easy is it to see in glaring light or at night?
6. Where are the controls? Can the passenger reach them as easily as the driver?
7. How quickly can you input a destination and get the driving directions?
I currently use a Garmin V handheld GPS with a dash mount and find it is very handy both in and out of the car, and it cost less than &#036;500 U.S. There are disadvantages, though, so I&#39;m wondering if our next Volvo should have the built-in system.

HomerSimpson
12-20-2002, 01:20 PM
I have a XC70 03 due for delivery 1st wk of January that will have the new DVD nav system - I test drove a 2002 V70 with it and decided to order it on the 03. &nbsp;Currently using a Garmin Streetpilot and really like it as well except for the wires. &nbsp;The Garmin has a womans voice and the Volvo system has a mans. &nbsp;Am hoping that the Volvo system will find resturants, shopping ctrs, emerg help, etc. as easily as the garmin. &nbsp;I know it is expensive, but if you have ever gotten horribly lost on your way to your son&#39;s soccer game in some strange state with a game deadline looming you will appreciate it as money well spent. &nbsp;I think it saved our marriage http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif &nbsp;The wife is not fun at all when lost...

HomerSimpson
12-20-2002, 01:22 PM
Coastal -

How can you retro the nav to view regular TV? &nbsp;I&#39;d like to look into that.

barrysharp
03-11-2003, 08:43 AM
Does any forum member have an answer to HomerSimpson&#39;s Nav Sys TV retro question? Just wondering http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif &nbsp;It seems to be an option for the European Volvos but haven&#39;t seen any mention of it for the USA Volvos http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif &nbsp;I assume with any TV retro effort that DVD playback might also be possible http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif