PDA

View Full Version : not starting

kavorcas
10-17-2013, 02:02 AM
HI everyone ,i am having trouble starting my2004 xc70, cranks well, but only every once in a while it even sounds like it mite think about starting but dose'nt. "dice" tells me its all ok .... smells fuely durring cranking and plug are black,checked all coil packs for spark with vadis seems ok.please help. dont know what else to try

howardc64
10-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Perhaps you can try a spark plug tester (only a few $ here in the states) to isolate the problem to spark or fuel. Tester will light up if there is electricity going from the coil to the plug.

Any recent work done?

kavorcas
10-18-2013, 03:45 AM
Hi thanks for reply will look into getting a tester,I did pull the injectors of today just to have a look ,thay looked "crusty" dirty looking but could se the 4 little holes in each ,when i put it back together it just about started up, then back to the dead sounding cranking. When i press the valve on the end of the fuel rail (key in pos 2)only a small squirt of fuel comes out the nothing is that normal ? did try some "start spray" but nothing .as for work do yes there has been a bit done motor and auto out (auto rebuild) new turbo (seals /bearings shot)bevel gear rebuild. Did get 200km out of it before it started to run ruff then not start.Had cam sensors missing signal codes so replaced both of them ,but it is still giving me the same codes but sum time missing sum time high ,have tested cables between ECU socket and sensors about 1to 2 ohms &5v at socket .there is a small reading between between black wire and blue/black wire on intake sensor (.08ish ohms) today have pulled Allthe cable covers off the looms to look for damage yet to find any, very puzzling.thanks again for your help

guyeye
10-18-2013, 06:52 AM
When is the last time the fuel filter was changed?

kavorcas
10-18-2013, 04:32 PM
hummm not sure will chase up a new one at least that will cross another thing off the list Thanks

kavorcas
10-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Filter was only changed 6months ago and I took it out and could blow through it really easily so that s all good.

guyeye
10-22-2013, 11:19 AM
You might try a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the rail. This would at least rule out (or in) any fuel delivery problems. I have read that there have been problems with the fuel pressure sensor on some '03 & '04s (left end of the rail) but I don't have any personal experience with this.
Ooooh! I hope I didn't just jinx myself!

kavorcas
10-23-2013, 03:01 AM
Hi thanks , I did try using a simple air pressure gauge (stick type?) Showed 30psi but could be in accurate and about 10psi after about 5min.will check it out thanks again.

guyeye
10-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Well, I would be leery of using a tire pressure gauge for this. Not sure about over there, but you can pick up, or put together a fuel pressure guage pretty inexpensively where I am. Pressure should be at around 60psi at idle and hold that reading thru revs and for about 20 mins. after turning off the ignition. But I have no idea what the pressure should be just before ignition. I assume right around 60psi. Hmmm.

Are you sure your fuel pump relay is good? I've heard they can sometimes partially work by way of sending a weak signal or intermittent current to your pump. Again, I don't have first hand experience (so you might first want to get advice from someone who has), but I've heard of using a paper clip or stiff wire to bypass the relay, so the pump is on and starting it that way. If it works, the relay is bad.

See this post in Volvoforums.com (it's for an 850, so the relay location/port #s are probably different):
http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/volvo-850-random-stalling-hard-start-testing-fuel-pump-fuel-pump-relay-64044/

kavorcas
10-24-2013, 02:11 AM
cool thanks will check tommorow hope reading will be 60psi at key position II as it still wont start ,and will bypass realy thanks again for your help

kavorcas
11-01-2013, 05:15 PM
thanks every one for there idears but still wont start so have shipped it off to the dealer $550 later thay are looking at it so will let you know the result. thans again for your help..

kavorcas
01-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks all.
just got car back from dealer with a $3300AUD bill seems as though the problem was a loose nut /bolt on the crank which caused the key way to "flog out" ,and made the timing out by 3 or 4 teeth .