PDA

View Full Version : Interior trim removal! Fuel solenoid problem

Deneway
09-30-2013, 04:31 PM
Ok, how do I get to the actual solenoid. Seems I need to remove the interior trim. Does anyone have instructions?

The fuel door stopped working (thankfully it was unlocked) I found a loose wire with a "T" connector that research tells me is the wire to the fuel solenoid.

But the solenoid must be buried deep behind the interior trim. Thanks for your help.

Deneway
10-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Bump.

Anyone?

Astro14
10-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Doesn't the owners manual show how to open the filler door in the event of a solenoid failure? I would start there...

guyeye
10-01-2013, 02:33 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
One of the best features of this website is it's "resources" section. I spent days reading every morsel before and after I bought my XC. It's a great read!
In the meantime check this link- It's for the trim on the driver's side, but I think it applies to the passenger side as well. Pretty straightforward:
http://www.volvoxc.com/0/resources/how-to/pdf/removing-top-cover-panel.pdf

A quick google search rendered this (Google is an amazing thing too!):
http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/155815-simple-fix-for-stuck-fuel-door-xc70-03-manual-release/

Go for it!

Deneway
10-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Took a day off to work on this.
Putting meter across the wires at the solenoid (thanks for the links folks) revealed no current.
Swapping relays made no difference.
Fuse was good (rear door CL works off same fuse).
Solenoid worked if powered on its own.
Having pondered all this discovered that the switch worked very very rarely. Therefore decided that we had to replace it.
What I didn't expect to find is that the switch for the fuel door is a once piece device with the headlight switch, as well as fog light switches. There are only three wires coming out of it.
Have ordered a replacement switch ($140) from dealer who needed the vin number due to the number of trim variations.
Made assumption that its not the ecu gone bad as nothing else isn't working.
Put everything back together in the rear and kind have the switch hanging halfway loose for now.

hoonk
10-09-2013, 01:04 PM
You could always keep the cash in your pocket, unplug the switch and pull the locking pin back preventing it from locking. Do you live in an area that you need a locking gas door?

sjonnie
10-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Have ordered a replacement switch ($140) from dealer who needed the vin number due to the number of trim variations.
Junkyard switch, $20.

Deneway
10-09-2013, 01:26 PM
You could always keep the cash in your pocket, unplug the switch and pull the locking pin back preventing it from locking. Do you live in an area that you need a locking gas door?

Try telling that to my wife.

While we are on the subject, can you guys upload a photo of the fuel door itself. The spring there is no longer springing...just hanging loose. I think part of the hinge has broken.
TIA

hoonk
10-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Try telling that to my wife.

While we are on the subject, can you guys upload a photo of the fuel door itself. The spring there is no longer springing...just hanging loose. I think part of the hinge has broken.
TIA

She can still push the button and pretend it unlocks [happy]

On the gas door you just need a new hinge, 31265160 and that will make the door snap shut and stay shut, right now it just swings. (when it is unlocked) After you fill up with gas, the door does not lock until the next time you lock the doors - and there is a delay (speed? or time) on the gas door lock, to let you lock the car and get to the gas door.

Make sure you clip the new hinge onto the gas door first before attaching the hinge to the body.