PDA

View Full Version : Play in driveshaft and right half-axle

vtl
09-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Hi,

2005 XC70, close to 100k miles, fighting with clicks... Noticed that driveshaft has angular play, 5-10 dergrees maybe.

http://youtu.be/7r8R__9yrbc

But more interesting, right half axle has 1/4" of radial play. I dropped carriage bearing bracket to check if bearing is dry and requires replacement soon, saw how axle moves. Weird...

http://youtu.be/qSLLbKTzDV8

Also bevel gear developed slight leak after oil replacement. Not quite sure where it leaks, looks like from both right seal and joint between case halves. Looks like it was resealed already.

What am I looking at in terms of repair?

sjonnie
09-28-2013, 03:04 PM
What am I looking at in terms of repair?
I don't think anything's wrong. The rotational play in the driveshaft is the backlash in the angle gear and CV joints. The play in the PS half-shaft is a feature caused by the length of the shaft and you removing the carrier bearing.

vtl
09-29-2013, 06:34 AM
Thanks sjonnie! I don't remember such play in FWD V70, maybe just didn't notice it.

Also something whines in drivetrain with most amplitude at about 40 MPH. Disappears or significantly reduces to below road noise level when accelerator pedal is disengaged. And certainly drivetrain has lots of play in it, those clicks in slow moving traffic make me mad.

sjonnie
09-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Also something whines in drivetrain with most amplitude at about 40 MPH. Disappears or significantly reduces to below road noise level when accelerator pedal is disengaged.
Whine in the drive train under acceleration is typical of gears with backlash out of spec. Can be caused by worn carrier or pinion bearings.

vtl
10-01-2013, 04:17 AM
Yeah, could be pinion bearing. Car has light-to-medium shudder after hard acceleration. The source of it seems to be located under the car, close to center. And this is not half-axles. "Bad pinion bearing" youtube videos are somewhat close to what I hear. Not at this scale, but still.