PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump was not seated correctly

uhvolvoowner
09-16-2013, 12:26 PM
I brought my 2002 Volvo xc70 (V70) into the repair shop because of fuel smell and an intermittent rough start. Whne they finally looked under the car, they found a fuel leak and once they were able to pull the suspension down for a closer look, they found that the Fuel Pump was not seated correctly. Then they proceed to tell me to fix it properly they have to replace the Tank, Pump, and the O-Ring. Once that is all done, then they need to see if the fuel filter is ok. The price tag for this is over 4K! I am feeling ripped off. This seems very excessive to me. Has any one else run into this problem? Do they really need to replace all? They tell me this is because the material is plastic and because of the warping they all need to be replaced.

ericjp
09-16-2013, 12:42 PM
There was a recall for fuel pumps leaking for your car. do you know if it was ever done? same symptoms you are having. plus you can get to the fuel pump from an access plate behind the rear seat on the passenger side.

BillAileo
09-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Here's a cut and paste from the MotorTrend site on the recall notice:

Recall ID # 74108 - FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:FUEL PUMP

Recall Date:

DEC 18, 2009

Model Affected:

2002 Volvo V70

Summary:

VOLVO IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2001-2005 S80, MODEL YEAR 2001-2004 V70, S60, XC70 AND MODEL YEAR 2003-2005 XC90 VEHICLES SOLD IN OR REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF ALABAMA, ARIZONA, ARKANSAS, CALIFORNIA, FLORIDA, GEORGIA, HAWAII, KENTUCKY, LOUISIANA, MISSISSIPPI, NEVADA, NEW MEXICO, NORTH CAROLINA, OKLAHOMA, SOUTH CAROLINA, TENNESSEE, TEXAS, UTAH, VIRGINIA AND THE U.S. TERRITORIES. WHEN EXPOSED TO CERTAIN ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS (HOT CLIMATE AND TEMPERATURE CYCLING) OVER TIME AND IN COMBINATION WITH VARYING FUEL QUALITY, THE FUEL PUMP CAN DEVELOP CRACKS IN THE FUEL PUMP FLANGE.

Consequences:

IF THE CONDITION OCCURS VEHICLE OWNERS MAY NOTICE FUEL SMELL AND/OR FUEL LEAK WHICH, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE FUEL PUMP INSTALLED IN THE VEHICLE, AND IF NECESSARY REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP WITH A PART OF A MODIFIED DESIGN. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JANUARY 15, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VOLVO AT 1-800-458-1552.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:

VOLVO CARS OF N.A. LLC.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2002/volvo/v70/recalls/#ixzz2f5RzsMvX

uhvolvoowner
09-16-2013, 02:27 PM
I was told that the Recall has expired. Pluss my car is not in one of those states. I may take it to a dealer to see if the cause is the same as the recall and see if I can get Volvo to accept it.

I am not sure how they got to it, but they were trying to find the leak, so I think that is why they went in from underneath.

Does it sound excessive to have to replace the tank as well?

ericjp
09-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Considering that the recall was just for the pump, I don't see why they would be replacing the tank too unless it was cracked. It's interesting that they didn't just look through the inspection port to see where the fuel was leaking since it is a known issue.