PDA

View Full Version : Drivers window off track?

64pvolvo1800
08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
My windows got a serious case of sap from the oaks at home and yesterday when rolling down, it stuck and the rear was jerking while the front half went down. Now it's clear hat the window is loose or half loose from the track. I'm asking if anybody can envision what happened and what I ma need to fix this. I've ordered the two "sliders" but I don't know how the glass is secured to the track/regulator.
Is this like the sunroof issue where the glasss is superglued to the frame and the frame is installed to the regulator? Is there an adhesive involved? Or, have I got it covered since the window still goes. And down without noise as long as I'm forcing it to not stick?
Also, to pull the plastic rivets out of the door panel, is there any way to save them, or just drill or lunch them out and replace?

Thanks in advance guys and girls

hoonk
08-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Push the center of the door panel rivet in about 1/4 inch - that will release it, and after they are off you can reset most of them to be reused. Hopefully you only have broken "sliders" and not a bent window regulator.

64pvolvo1800
08-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Ah, ok. Ill look at the ones I have for the front number and see what you mean. Never realized they work that way but its good to know. Ill tackle it this weekend if not tonight.

JRL
08-29-2013, 11:44 AM
Not really
You need to buy some of these very large rivets from Volvo and if you're doing it yourself, buy an oversized rivet gun if you don't have one.
These rivets are BIG and difficult to secure

hoonk
08-31-2013, 07:24 PM
Yes, the window regulator rivets are steel and have to be drilled out, be sure to use steel replacement pop rivets, not aluminum ones. If I remember correctly one of them need a long snout on the gun to reach - It takes a heavy duty pop rivet gun for steel rivets, the handles are ~18 inches long.

coflynn
09-05-2013, 10:29 AM
BTW could it just be the plastic window sliders? See http://volvospeed.com/volvo_repairs_how_tos/doors_latches/v70_s60_s80_window-slider-replacement.html. I just replaced two of those on the drivers side myself. If you've got a dealer close by the price is basically the same as online.

64pvolvo1800
09-06-2013, 03:15 AM
BTW could it just be the plastic window sliders? See http://volvospeed.com/volvo_repairs_how_tos/doors_latches/v70_s60_s80_window-slider-replacement.html. I just replaced two of those on the drivers side myself. If you've got a dealer close by the price is basically the same as online.
Finally found time to check this and fix it. The sliders were both broken and the regulator arms bent slightly and the window came out of track. Git it all twisted, seated, and clipped! All is well with Goldie again.
Now on to the awd testing tomorrow. Thanks to all.