PDA

View Full Version : Strut/Shock Question

Volvoholic
08-15-2013, 02:43 AM
Anybody know when the struts/shocks should be replaced on these cars?

I'm 99% sure mine are the originals at 79K mi. and the car tends to float around a lot on the freeway. Granted, it has always done that and that's pretty natural of a car with a 60% rear weight bias but I'm just checking.

Again, there's 79K mi on them, no leaking, no abnormal noises, no "blown shock bouncing."
Just trying to get an idea for when I should expect the imminent failure and replacement.

billr99
08-15-2013, 03:36 AM
All depends, to some degree, on what the suspension has been subjected to. If you live in someplace like FL where the roads are dead smooth for the most part, your suspension should live well beyond 100K miles. Here in Nova Scotia though where we have frost heaving, a fair number of gravel roads, etc. it might not last 50K miles if you tear down those broken up roads. For example, I'm having trouble getting 15K kms out of ball joints because of the roads I drive on (the one I live on being amongst the worst) and my suspension is just about ready to replace after a bit more than 100K kms. I would think in CA there, you would be on the higher end of the scale so at 79K you got a bit of time yet.

Cheers,

Bill

JRL
08-15-2013, 07:23 AM
You have it backwards more like 60% weight on the FRONT end.
Anyhow the above answer is correct, it depends on the roads driven

Xheart
08-15-2013, 09:44 AM
One deteriorated component would start the chain, but a control arm deterioration would quickly infect all other suspension parts.
I would begin gathering ALL OE/OEM components, and replace each connected to the knuckle within 6-9 months or less, overhauling complete suspension.

Remember failing suspension is a road safety issue, causing uneven tire wear, various engine mounts collapse, wheel bearing and CV joint, and finally AWD, if neglected. The VC/FD would show signs before AG.

PS...I would keep my car fit just to avoid JRL getting mad. Lol.

Volvoholic
08-15-2013, 02:18 PM
All depends, to some degree, on what the suspension has been subjected to. If you live in someplace like FL where the roads are dead smooth for the most part, your suspension should live well beyond 100K miles. Here in Nova Scotia though where we have frost heaving, a fair number of gravel roads, etc. it might not last 50K miles if you tear down those broken up roads. For example, I'm having trouble getting 15K kms out of ball joints because of the roads I drive on (the one I live on being amongst the worst) and my suspension is just about ready to replace after a bit more than 100K kms. I would think in CA there, you would be on the higher end of the scale so at 79K you got a bit of time yet.

Cheers,

Bill
Sweet, so I'll expect something like 100K miles out of it at least. Thanks!

You have it backwards more like 60% weight on the FRONT end.
Anyhow the above answer is correct, it depends on the roads driven
I do have to say that no self-respecting vehicle with 60% weight on the front axle should lift and squat as much as this car does. I swear it's something like 58% on the rear end but this is really a moot point since my question regarded the life span of the shocks lol

One deteriorated component would start the chain, but a control arm deterioration would quickly infect all other suspension parts.
I would begin gathering ALL OE/OEM components, and replace each connected to the knuckle within 6-9 months or less, overhauling complete suspension.
My goal is to spend as little money as possible on maintenance of this car because it has a definite life with me which is about 2 more years or another 20-25K mi. I will, however, replace suspension if it is deemed blown, worn past its useful life, or otherwise deteriorated beyond effectiveness. For example, I had the front shock mounts replaced under CPO. The suspension is in great shape otherwise and it basically sits 4 days of the week so I see no need to collect parts.

Thanks for the info, gents!

JRL
08-15-2013, 03:14 PM
I do have to say that no self-respecting vehicle with 60% weight on the front axle should lift and squat as much as this car does.

Well, as soft as these springs and shocks are it does.
Others don't.
Rs don't
2.5Ts don't
Even Gen 1 P80XC's don't

Volvoholic
08-15-2013, 03:37 PM
I'll have to try and find that spec sheet I remember seeing. But for now, I've got a numerical analysis final to take!

sjonnie
08-15-2013, 09:48 PM
Anybody know when the struts/shocks should be replaced on these cars?
I replaced my original struts and shocks at 180k mi. They were totally worn out (you could compress the strut fully by hand, you can't do that to new struts). They should be replaced before that stage.

The car tends to float around a lot on the freeway.
That disconnectedness feeling is exactly what I experienced (for several thousand miles). New struts (plus a bunch of other suspension stuff) and the connection to the road you experience in a new car test drive came right back. Your struts haven't failed per se, they're just old and worn. When you replace them is somewhat subjective depending on your driving habits and performance requirements but sooner rather than later (unlike I did) is the more safety conscious route.

Astro14
08-16-2013, 04:50 AM
I replaced my original struts and shocks at 180k mi. They were totally worn out (you could compress the strut fully by hand, you can't do that to new struts). They should be replaced before that stage.

That disconnectedness feeling is exactly what I experienced (for several thousand miles). New struts (plus a bunch of other suspension stuff) and the connection to the road you experience in a new car test drive came right back. Your struts haven't failed per se, they're just old and worn. When you replace them is somewhat subjective depending on your driving habits and performance requirements but sooner rather than later (unlike I did) is the more safety conscious route.

Yep!

When I did the rebuild on the T5 suspension (struts, shocks, mounts, LCA, Balljoints, etc), At 140,000 the struts were gone. When I did the rebuild on the XC at 170,000, the struts were gone.

100 - 125,000 is time to replace/rebuild the wear parts in the suspension.

billr99
08-16-2013, 05:14 AM
Keep in mind as well, that if you let your shocks/struts go to far past their time, you will transmit greater shock into the other suspensions components. So that means things like bushings, strut mounts, tie rod ends, etc. will have their wear rates accelerated. Now if you intend to go thru your entire suspension when you replace the shocks/struts and replace everything else too, I suppose it really doesn't matter; but not all the bits have the same "normal" lifespan.

Cheers,

Bill

Volvoholic
08-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure the ones I've got are the originals because there's no record of them ever being replaced plus it was a leased car for 3 years and 9 months before I got to it so I doubt those owners replaced them in that time. The CPO refurbishing report had nothing about shocks, had lots of brake work but no shocks. I've never replaced them so that leads me to be,I'd've they're original. I've only got 79,300 miles on it so they shouldn't be too bad but the consensus seems to be about 100K mi so maybe at the 82.5K service I'll talk to the tech and see what he thinks about them.