PDA

View Full Version : Dealer woes & XC70 pomderings

PierreC
08-04-2013, 06:25 AM
Disaster! My preferred Volvo dealer is closing its doors. This is quite a problem as the other two dealerships in my city are so-so and utterly useless respectively. So be it ...

My dilemma is as follows: My '02 XC70 has just reached 135.000 miles (216.000 km) and is in need of the PCV overhaul, control arm (bushings) replacement or complete suspension overhaul, new top strut upper spring seats, front rotors and a few more odds and ends. Quite simply, is it worth it? :confused: The car (body, interior, engine in general) is still in an exceptional condition (I had it since new ) ...

Any thoughts?

JRL
08-04-2013, 07:08 AM
If you like your XC, this is normal maintenance for the miles

vtl
08-04-2013, 09:02 AM
PCV is a bit PITA if you change every piece of it, but still very doable. Everything else (suspension, rotors, control arms) can be changed at once, you have to disassemble it anyway. Couple of weekends if you do it first time in life.

JRL
08-04-2013, 09:48 AM
PCV is a bit PITA if you change every piece of it, but still very doable. Everything else (suspension, rotors, control arms) can be changed at once, you have to disassemble it anyway. Couple of weekends if you do it first time in life.

Don't you (and many others) understand that 95% of car owners do NOT and/or cannot do their own work?
Regardless, he's also looking at a TON of parts either way ($$$$) to do what he needs to do.

vtl
08-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Don't you (and many others) understand that 95% of car owners do NOT and/or cannot do their own work?
I understand that. Also I remember that this forum is for DIYers. While certainly there are some weepers who come to say goodbye, because they don't know and don't want to know how to turn wrench, so they'd better suffer in ugly Toyota than spending couple of evenings on their cars. PierreC knows more about front suspension than me when I started working on it, he is capable to do this work if he is willing to.

Regardless, he's also looking at a TON of parts either way ($$$$) to do what he needs to do.
~$1500-2000 for new front suspension, rotors, control arms and full PCV kit. This is a good long term investment.

JRL
08-04-2013, 11:36 AM
I understand that. Also I remember that this forum is for DIYers. While certainly there are some weepers who come to say goodbye, because they don't know and don't want to know how to turn wrench, so they'd better suffer in ugly Toyota than spending couple of evenings on their cars.

That is a generally insulting and mostly incorrect statement.
...and MATTHEWS is the DYI site, here it's more or less mixed

IMSITTINGINYOURCHAIR
08-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks for pointing us over there, I myself am DIY. It's a hobby that I may one day make a career out of.

Allen
08-04-2013, 08:45 PM
JRL, you're kind of short-tempered these days. Hope you're doing okay.

Jorge-789995
08-04-2013, 08:51 PM
JRL, you're kind of short-tempered these days. Hope you're doing okay.

Don't feed the troll. Maybe he'll go away.

Jorge-789995
08-04-2013, 08:55 PM
I have an 02 as well. I was in the same position about 2 years ago. I ended up doing all my own work - full suspension overhaul and PCV system replacement, and full brake job. I had done nearly nothing on the car prior to that. I had a dealer and an indy do it all. I was successful and I'm glad I did it. If you like the car and you are inclined, then do it yourself. If not then let the dealer do it. It's not that bad. If I can do it, then nearly anyone can.

Allen
08-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Don't feed the troll. Maybe he'll go away.

Nice.

64pvolvo1800
08-05-2013, 03:31 AM
This weekend I installed new front struts, springs, spring seats, strut mounts, bump stop assys, pads, shoes, and rotors all the way around GoldieLocks. The trick to DIY is a slow, deliberate, methodical plot, with very detailed instructions and attention to detail. A good digital camera and proper tools round out the necessities.
Forum references and questions are invaluable.
There are a lot of things that can be intimidating but I've found the reality, once I've gotten into the repair, to be much easier than the fear.
That said, if you are not mechanically inclined....then simply pay someone else. But, that makes a very large difference between the cost of keeping the car or dumping it.
I bought this XC70 2003 knowing I needed to do these and a few other repairs. I to it at a price that reflected the needs and I do all my own work which makes it worth it. Better than another car payment. This one has 200k. My 01 V70, 300k. My 12 S60T6, 70k. My 98S70T5M, 170k. My 64 P1800, mileage unknown. Obviously, I have plenty of stuff o work on and no shortage of chores!

Good luck turning your own wrenches. All the Volvo sites (VS, SS, MVS, etc) are DIY help forums. It's just that some members take offense at anything depending on how tight their panties are that day. Ignore them and keep plugging away!

PierreC
08-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks everybody for your thoughts. In the end I think it is worth it ... so I will bite the bullet and do it. Still have to decide what I will tackle myself ... (and BTW, prices for spares are much more expensive - I have been importing quite a bit but its always a toss-up when shipping costs and importation duties are added)