PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Air Filter

Oka
07-28-2013, 08:31 PM
How long do you really use your cabin air filter? Considering location, Anchorage, Alaska is very dusty.
What make would you recommend? Anyone using the K&N filter for the cabin?
Thanks.

Willy
07-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Don't wait too long. When the filter starts to develop more restriction to air flow, the fan has
to work harder. The fan regulator is cooled by the incoming air flow so it needs more cooling.
This situation can lead to a failing fan module.
Willy

Oka
07-29-2013, 02:01 AM
Sure makes more sense. Just got the car in March and don't know when last the previous owner changed the filter.
Last week, I went to the garage to get something, and the fan was running. Got the key, turned the ignition on and off, the fan went off. Could have ran all night to run down the new barttery. Yesterday afternoon, at the parking lot, with engine off, it ran for about a minute and stopped. Guess, this was normal with the Volvo.

How often should it be replaced (not OEM recommended but real life use)? For a dusty environment like Alaska, shoud be more often.

What make do you use. How about STP filters? Since I need to replace it right away, I would have to get it from town here. We have NAPA, AutoZone, CarQuest.

By the way, your XC70 2.5T (2004), what does the "T" stand for?

Thanks.

JRL
07-29-2013, 05:30 AM
Google Volvo afterblow

The running fan is normal
If you don't have IAQS which uses a carbon filter, any aftermarket filter will be fine, even my dealer sells aftermarket cabin filters
DO NOT use a reusable, cleanable filer for the cabin filter, just replace every 15K miles

Thames
07-29-2013, 06:34 AM

Turtle.

...no wait, Turbo.

Xheart
07-29-2013, 07:48 AM
How often should it be replaced (not OEM recommended but real life use)? For a dusty environment like Alaska, shoud be more often.
What make do you use. How about STP filters? Since I need to replace it right away, I would have to get it from town here. We have NAPA, AutoZone, CarQuest.

Take the filter with you to CarQuest and match size and shape. Use CarQuest's premium product. I have charcoal type.
Not difficult nor costly, I will replace it once a year.

Willy
07-29-2013, 09:46 AM
It is useful to know that there are 2 positions for a filter. If you note where the filter is
located when you remove it, you can make sure you will place the new one in the right slot.
Willy

Oka
07-29-2013, 05:21 PM
. . . Use CarQuest's premium . . .

In town, they are all called "CARQUEST Premium Cabin Air Filters" and vary in price at $13 and $26 (doubled) and they have the charcoal in them. They are all "premium" but greatly vary in price. Does the price matter here?
Thanks

Xheart
07-29-2013, 07:47 PM
In town, they are all called "CARQUEST Premium Cabin Air Filters" and vary in price at $13 and $26 (doubled) and they have the charcoal in them. They are all "premium" but greatly vary in price. Does the price matter here?
Thanks

I live in urban area, hence choose charcoal kind. It was close to USD30 with tax.
We rarely have our windows down. For cabin air quality, I would install charcoal kind.

Oka
07-29-2013, 08:11 PM
I live in urban area, hence choose charcoal kind. It was close to USD30 with tax.
We rarely have our windows down. For cabin air quality, I would install charcoal kind.

Sure I go it now. I will pick one up tomorrow and replace mine right away. Thanks for your help!

Willy
07-29-2013, 11:51 PM
The Volvo Interior Air Quality System uses a charcoal filter in one of the slots.
Cars not equiped with IAQS use "normal" filters, they go in the other slot.
I don't know if you can place a charcoal filter in the non-IAQS slot, you probably can.
Willy

TheDarkKnightt
07-30-2013, 01:49 PM
I've been using the Napa brand interior filters on my 2005, and they are American made and cost me about
$13.00 locally. Not charcoal.

Xheart
07-31-2013, 05:34 AM
Sure I go it now. I will pick one up tomorrow and replace mine right away. Thanks for your help!

Take it easy when removing the fasteners, screws, and panels. Avoid breaking tab, each access point would come off with little or no effort once undone...no force needed.

Align screws before threading it back in to plastic covers, be gentle. Else expect grief.

JRL
07-31-2013, 11:38 AM
I don't know if you can place a charcoal filter in the non-IAQS slot, you probably can.
Willy

No, you can't
Charcoal filters are thicker and will not go into the smaller slot
You can do the reverse, put a small filter into the larger

Willy
08-01-2013, 05:03 AM
You are right, not when using the Volvo filters, but from some of the replies above I understood that
there might be "normal" filters on the market that contain charcoal. If that is the case, I assume
they can be used in the "normal" slot to provide some (but not all) of the benefits of the IAQS system.
Willy