PDA

View Full Version : Saying goodbye to the volvo

defrankond
07-18-2013, 07:30 PM
I appriciate all the help that everyone here has given during the issues that I have had with my xc70 but after the recent visit to the service dept and hearing that the transmission was going out as well as the transfer case and hearing the price of the repair i decided to just get rid of the volvo all together. From what i understand the volvo mechanic stated that they have had numerous issues with the transfer case and the transmission that is in my unit and the fact that the mechanic that did the transmission flush over filled the transmission led to internal stress on the unit. in any event the car has now been traded off and i am going back to a trusted car that I have rarely ever had issues with. I just want to take the time to thank each and every one of you including you JRL for your assistance and your technical expertise you have all been great and im sad to say goodbye to this community. but owning a toyota now really i have no place on this forum anymore. I wish you all well on your volvo repairs and your volvo cars. i can say that i will never own a volvo again. but i will keep this account alive in case a friend gets one and needs help.

sincerely,
cj

eitankon
07-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Hello CJ,

It is sad to hear that.

Best is a 245 Volvo , nothing to brake. But cannot be compared to the XC70.

I am only a Volvo owner , and not the owner of Volvo :-) , but would like to tell you something from my experience:

Expensive , comfortable , fast , 4X4 , very safe (and more) car costs a lot , and costs more to handle.
If the car is new , than you are protected. If not , you need some deep pockets...
I think it is the same with all these luxury cars.

Where I live, a new XC70 costs about 100,000$ , yes , no kidding !
Mine is a 2002 XC and guess the price : ??? 8,000 $.
The car price lost 90,000$ in 11 years!!

But then comes another problem , that if not new you have to pay for repairs.
Either way - we lose.

My friend has a 2001 XC70 , and had a problem with the transfer. His mechanic just canceled it and he is driving like that without a problem.
If your trany has low mileage on it , maybe you can drive it more.

Mine has done already 70,000 km since the day a mechanic told me the trany is dead and still pushing (besides that harsh shifts from time to time)
(did the flush, B4 and adaptive).

Drive with that beast , until it dies. Nothing to lose.

Eitan

defrankond
08-01-2013, 12:00 PM
im sorry to say eitan but i got rid of the volvo. the dealership that took it away on trade ended up breaking down after a 300 mile trip in it. the transmission seized up, which could have been caused from a couple different factors. the first was the transfer case/angel gear of course with its grinding but the other was the fact that the transmission was over filled by the service department and the previous owner did not notice. when i purchased the car i did not even notice until after winter when i was able to thoroughly inspect the fluids. of which the fluid was black almost with just a hint of red, it was over filled over halfway up the dip stick. not to mention the car was getting very poor fuel economy. when i bought the car it started out at 22 city and 28 highway. after a year it dropped to 13 city and 15 highway. oh my income it was a loose loose scenario and it was best for me to just call it quits. i ended up loosing alot of money on it but one thing is for sure. i will never own another volvo again. i put 8000 miles on that car none of which were hard driving miles. when i first purchased it it was mechanically sound then after one year the entire thing just went belly up. i understand that the car was used, but ive always owned used cars and most with over 100k miles and the only ones that have never done me wrong have been hondas and toyotas. every ford, volvo, VW, dodge, and chevrolet ive had has been nothing but a nightmare. im pleased to say however I am the owner of a prius now for the second time and i do not plan on going to anything else. after driving something that got 13mpg it is a nice break driving something that currently is averaging 55-60mpg. while the volvo comfort and ride will be missed, the fuel economy and the horrible & expensive mechanical problems will not

TheDarkKnightt
08-01-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry it ended like that.

The overfilling issue was not the car's fault.

It amazes me that the a lot of things that do go wrong on a car can be attributed to driver/owner/mechanic error, overuse and lack of service.