PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Whistle

EmperorWatcher
07-13-2013, 09:00 AM
2004 XC70; 144,000 mi.

I've scanned and searched for a similar problem, but haven't seen any mention of my particular variation. I think I read of someone talking about a Volvo kit, years ago, but can't find anything more about it.

It happens only when I drive through a puddle, melting slush, or very heavy rain.

It is a pretty loud sound and worries my passengers. Moderately high-pitched, constant and eventually goes away. No accompanying vibration. May last 30 seconds, subside, and return if I hit another puddle. Fortunately, the rain isn't very heavy here in Seattle, so it isn't a daily issue, but in the rainiest months it may happen two times in a month. I've had 3 different sets of tires with no variation.

Your collected wisdom, please.

guyeye
07-13-2013, 10:09 AM
See this (rather extensive) thread. Your problem sounds like a textbook case. Seems like an easy fix, though I've never experienced it.
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?5426-The-cause-of-slush-squeel-whine-grind-groan-etc-(pic)/page7&highlight=Drive+shaft+whine

JRL
07-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Google
"Rain Squeal on a Volvo"

Swagger XC
07-13-2013, 01:04 PM
You can also do the JRL mod to fix it.
Sorry for my complete and utter briefness but I would rather have the above named to explain this in a more professional and knowledgeable way.

Or you can just google it...

EmperorWatcher
07-20-2013, 12:32 PM
I have been asking this same question for 4 years and everybody looked at me like I was nuts. I called a local Volvo dealer service, Volvo specialty repair shop and posted on at least 2 forums after I got the car in 2008. I guess I never used the right words to trigger a response. I called it a "whine", "whistle", "high pitched noise", etc.! I happened to be posting another inquiry and thought I'd give it another try...

I've asked the Volvo dealer what they would charge for kit installation, or if Volvo would cover the cost for their design flaw ;) and waiting for an answer. I have recently seen a few cases of their handling it free. Otherwise, I'll probably have someone do the JRL mod.

Thanks for the responses and help!

parsapolis
07-28-2013, 06:38 PM
I fixed this problem by modifying the existing bracket just behind the resonator (see pictures). This lowered the exhaust a few centimeters and it keeps the pipe from bending upwards and touching the center shaft. So far so good.