PDA

View Full Version : 2001 XC70 with bum transmission

shmoulton
07-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Fellow Volvo drivers,

I've got a 2001 XC70 with a bum transmission. I can't afford to have the Volvo dealership in town remedy the problem ($5900 was the estimate, for an entirely new tranny I believe). After speaking with a few other independent shops, I'm looking at the following options: a used 2002 transmission (apparently fits in a 2001 but has a better track record than the 01s), or a remanufactured 02 one for a bit more $$$. Alternatively, a transmission shop is willing to take a crack at rebuilding it for $2,700, but based on what I've read, this doesn't seem like the best option based on how tricky/problematic/notorious 01 trannys are.

Another shop proposed just replacing the valve body on my current transmission for ~$2,300. The shop has a great reputation and says that they've repaired a bunch of 01s this way and have a great track record of success tackling the problem this way. (They said they initially tried rebuilding them but it was too hard and often didn't work and that this is a smarter way to go.) Anyone have that done successfully or otherwise have any other insight that might inform my decision making? I read a thread here where it sounds like people have had success doing this; anyone have a bad experience going this route?

Xheart
07-09-2013, 06:17 AM
What is the serial number of the bum transmission?

shmoulton
07-09-2013, 01:38 PM
Just sent you a PM with it. Thanks

Xheart
07-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Would you post a photo similar to the one below from your car.

dfuerst
07-11-2013, 06:13 AM
Go with a rebuild at an independent. There is nothing especially magic with the trannies on Volvos (it's used on many different cars), and any tranny shop will have plenty of experience with them. There's nothing "tricky/problematic/notorious" about them -- they just fail at a truly horrendous rate. The dealer is quoting you the price for a rebuild (there are no new trannies out there) with the usual dealer mark-up.

The tranny went on the wife's 01 XC70, oh, about 6 years ago and was rebuilt by a local shop. It's worked perfectly since.

Darren

Chilled Man
07-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Manual Swap :D

RockitShip
07-12-2013, 03:58 AM
Manual Swap :D

If only someone here has done something like this to show us how it's done.... :p