PDA

View Full Version : Dreams are coming true

AWD*V70XC
01-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Wow, just found out there is some new oem audio equipment on the market from Volvo.

New audio now includes MD as well as CD.

Still trying to get model number.

Any takers?  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/devil.gif

Also some XC70 now rolling off PL with rear spoiler as standard.

mhoy
01-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Looks like the manufactures are finally getting the right idea.

At CES, Alpine Controls iPod with Car Stereos.  This is exactly what I want in the a Volvo, a direct connect for an Ipod with controls built into the system.

NeuDaddi
01-11-2004, 11:06 AM
For those non-audiophiles out there (like me), what is MD?

slender
01-11-2004, 12:12 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NeuDaddi @ Jan. 11 2004,10:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what is MD?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Mini Disc http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

littlewaywelt
01-12-2004, 06:55 AM
what&#39;s the advantage to MD? Is it simply a smaller personal player? &nbsp;I thought everyone either used an mp3 player like the ipod or burned to cd.

NeuDaddi
01-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Mini-disc...I don&#39;t see how that is a particularly useful thing in a car unless you&#39;ve already invested in MD technology. &nbsp;Which, from what I have seen, only seems to come from Sony. &nbsp;A close friend of mine had an MP3 player, returned it, and got an MD player. &nbsp;He used that for awhile, but he hates the fact that he is always switcing discs. &nbsp;He can barely get a full morning run in with on mini disc (or is it minidisc or mini-disc?). &nbsp;He id dying for an iPod now...

MP3 (and all the &quot;good&quot; audio file formats: AAC, WMV, etc) seems like a much better path to follow in consumer/auto electronics. &nbsp;MP3 is everywhere, so to speak. &nbsp;Anyone with a computer can rip files without being tied to OS or software or hardware. &nbsp;And, a multitude of devices are available to support those files.

Volvo should support MP3 and offer XM and Sirius in their next set of audio systems. &nbsp;To not do this would be foolish and show an ignorance of the marketplace.

AWD*V70XC
01-12-2004, 01:39 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> &nbsp;He is dying for an iPod now...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I can&#39;t say that i-pod is very much in your face in the UK, NeuDaddi, it must be plugged a lot in the US but..

Just seen something on the news an hour ago (SkyNews) about these things. They cost about GBP400 here and there is a new one out in a few months that will hold twice as much music than the old one for half the price. But no that&#39;s not it.

Apparently they only come with 12 month warranty and the battery fails to recharge after 18 months and the battery cannot be replaced, too handy like... a lot of people complaining over here (UK) but whoever makes the thing has said they are aware of this and will replace the battery for you at a cost of GBP120.

This gadget seems more trouble than worth and mayby this is why Volvo have not included it in their cars yet&#33; Only an idea.

MD-Daddy
01-13-2004, 01:41 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mhoy @ Jan. 11 2004,09:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Looks like the manufactures are finally getting the right idea.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
So when will they come out with an ear phone jack as standard equipment in car stereos?

As the Volvo&#39;s don&#39;t have a standard interface (ear phone jack) I&#39;ll have to use an FM transmitter with the iPaq. &nbsp;Anyone tried (with success mind you&#33http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif to modify the stock stereos with an inline jack?

phrider
01-13-2004, 04:45 PM
For those with the otherwise useless cassette, you can get an iPod to cassette interface that avoids the problems of iPod /FM transmitters. An auxillary adapter would be better, but not by much. A home-run would be a device like the one just announced by Alpine, where the headunit and wheel controls can operate the iPod.

I tried an FM transmitter -- and gave up within an hour. It is useless in any crowded radio market like Los Angeles. And those that travel dislike them because you keep having to change the FM frequency as you drive from market to market.

For the UK folks: iPods are at least 1/3 of a MP3 player sales in the US. Pricing goes from about US&#036;250 for the 5GB just released mini-iPod to US&#036;500 for the 40GB iPod.

mhoy
01-13-2004, 11:18 PM
The cassette slot will be replaced by a small openning that is a hidden dock for an Ipod. Once docked, there is an additional menu item of Ipod. You can now control the Ipod via the CD controls, the playlist is now displayed on the controller instead of the Ipod. The Ipod is charged in the dock and is cushioned in the holder by soft mounts. This feature will be available MY2020. &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif