PDA

View Full Version : wobbly serpentine belt tensioner pulley

pelagikos
05-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Hello. A question.

While working on replacing the voltage regulator, with the belt off, I noticed that the tensioner pulley is wobbly in every and each direction. I have no clue how it is mounted, but, if it was a traditional bearing, it would look to me completely worn out, actually beyond that...

There were no unusual noises.

So, do I need a new tensioner?

As always, thanks for the advice.

TheDarkKnightt
05-20-2013, 08:11 AM
So, do I need a new tensioner?

Absolutely.

kain
05-20-2013, 08:16 AM
I would have to say yes, tensioner should be tight aside from the movement associated with the tensioning feature. I can't remember if there is a center nut on the tensioner that may have come loose so I would check for that also.

I will get it out of the way because someone is going to ask but how many miles on the car? If you are over 100k and still on the original timing belt I would recommend replacing it at the same time. TB is one of those things that you do not wait to fail before replacing otherwise you'll be replacing a lot more than just the belt.

When I did mine I did tensioner, pulley, belt, and water pump. You will get conflicting reports on the water pump replacement. Some say if it's still working then leave it. Some say if you have all of this stuff apart already then why not replace it at the same time.

pelagikos
05-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Appreciate the replies. Going to get a new tensioner.

2003 with 170K miles

the serpentine belt itself was replaced along with the timing belt just under 50K miles ago. This work was done in a shop. I'd like to believe they replaced the tensioner on the timing belt (the invoice states "timing belt kit" or something like that).

As far as I know, the tensioner on the serpentine belt was never replaced.

pelagikos
05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
The part is in. I searched around for the replacement procedure, but found nothing.

Am I correct to assume that it is as straight-forward as it seems:

*belt - off
*two bolts (looking at the new part) holding the tensioner - out
*tensioner - out

Or is it more involved than that?

Thanks again.

Astro14
05-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Don't remember the number of bolts, but yes, it's that straightforward...get a mirror...those bolts aren't easy to find...unless you pull the right front wheel and fender liner (which I did in frustration, I think, on the XC, to get at the mounting bolts)

pelagikos
05-29-2013, 07:24 PM
Done.
The two bolts (12mm) are easy enough, if one has the replacement part in front of him.
But still, going from the wheel well, probably, IS the way to do this, as, working from the top and bottom, I had to resort to some Houdini tricks like lifting the replacement part on a wire from the floor (no room to set it in place from the top).