PDA

View Full Version : Throttle pedal vibration?

picklehead
05-01-2003, 07:23 PM
Hi folks,

We have owned the car for one week now and I have a quick question.  The reviews I read on the XC 70 before I purchased the car did not like the "roughness" of the 5 cylinder engine.  I am finding that I enjoy the "growl" of the engine when I get on the accelerator.    In fact I do not know if it is my imagination, but I sense a bit of the engine vibration in the accelerator pedal.  It reminds me a bit of the vibration modes that you can experience on some of the computer games out there.  The vibration is not annoying and seems to be apparent under conditions of acceleration and deacceleration.  At cruising speeds I find the engine to be quite quiet.  Am I losing it here or does anyone else notice this syndrome.

Very Respectfully,
Jim Miller

wiz
05-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Can't say that I have - ours is an MY2002 and the throttle pedal has been smooth on both acceleration and deceleration. I have been paranoid about vibration through the steering wheel but I haven't experienced any yet.

budrichard
05-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Since the throttle is electronic, at least in the 03 and above, There would be no vibration. What model year do you have? -Dick

barrysharp
05-02-2003, 08:10 AM
bud:

Your thoughts on this issue are the same as mine. However, if the man says he feels vibration then there's no disputing the fact regardless of the electonic throttle mechanism. No matter, the throttle pedal is physically attached to the car's frame and thus vibration in one part of the car can be transmitted to the throttle pedal which by it's design is quite sensitive to such things.

It sure wouldn't hurt to have the service dept take a look at the throttle mechanism to ensure all of the bushings and vibration isolation components etc are in fact present. I can easily envision that something could have been missed or become dislodged in the manufacturing process of modern cars these days.

picklehead
05-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the input,

the car is an '03 with less than 500 miles on it.  After driving my wife's '96 Grand Cherokee today and listening to a cacaphony of noises (much louder than the new volvo) I noted that the accelerator pedal in her car had no vibration.  I guess that I will have the service folks look at it when the car  is in for the trailer hitch installation.  As I mentioned in my first message, the vibration is only present under conditions of hard acceleration or deacceleration.  It is not unpleasant and I could live with it, I just wondered if anyone had ever experienced this situation before.

Very Respectfully,
Jim Miller

budrichard
05-03-2003, 07:46 AM
Barry, agree about other sources of vibration. But first one hass to undertsand how the throttle works to be able to seperate what the mind can trick you into thinking if you believe that the throttle is a physical link to the engine. -Dick

picklehead
05-12-2003, 05:04 PM
Well,

I must have a super sensitive foot. I had a 2003 XC loaner today while they installed the hitch on my car. I immediately noticed the same vibration in the loaner. Since it is not overly annoying and only seems to appear under conditions of low rpm and speeds of 40 mph or greater, it is a condition which I can easily tolerate.

Very Respectfully,
Jim Miller

Gundo
05-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Agree.  Have the same issue.  Some people feel vibration differently - and my '02 definitely has it.  You get used to it after, oh, 14,000 miles or so.

Let us know if you get a fix.