PDA

View Full Version : Seat stitching

barrysharp
04-12-2003, 11:39 AM
For those who have owned their XC70s for one or more years how is the seat stitching holding up?

Are there any special precautions one should have in mind to avoid premature stitching breakage?

Thanks.

Low Tide
04-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Barry, FYI: the glove stitch is far stronger than the traditional straight one.  Not only can it  take more abrupt abuse and stretch, it's also easier to repair manually.

barrysharp
04-12-2003, 11:54 AM
Thanks Low Tide. That's very reassuring. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Hiro's XC
04-12-2003, 06:47 PM
Now if the rest of the leather will hold up as well as the stiches...   http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Jason

wiz
04-12-2003, 07:16 PM
Jason has a point. The bolster on the left side of my driver's seat is quite creased, and I am being careful with it. I think Art has the same problem. My car is 7 months old and the seats have had 2 applications of Lexol cleaner and conditioner in that time. Lexol states that it is OK to work the conditioner into the stitching.

Low Tide
04-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Creases are fine- honestly.  So long as they leather is not changing color or flaking or lifting unevenly around the crease.  The conditioner will keep if soft- and in some cases cause the creases.  Each hide is going to be different.  

Creases that turn into something funny- like those cases listed above are uneven abnormalities and may have natural flaws in them that will turn into problems- tears.  I recently saw a piece of pig hide in a boot that tore straight for 6 inches.  It was a month old.  The leather was very good quality, but even the best is prone to failure.  

Similarly- remember when wood was cut and graded by hand rather than a laser/scanner.  Most was surpurb, but some heart wood failed.  Leather tanning is still an old world process for the most part- so more flaws do not get caught.  

The point being, Volvo's leather is generally top quality.  Maybe not what it used to be.... but still expensive natural dyed hides.  

Regardless, both the wood and the leather are natural products.  Flaws exist.  If Volvo's quality control didn't catch it, take it to the dealer.  I had a seat fail many years ago- they refused to repair it- until I asked my attorney to request in writing that when I either sold the car or returned it under lease that the dealer would not charge me for the "wear."  The next day I received a call to schedule an appointment to replace the seat under warranty.  

Now- why do I care so much about this issue?  and sympathize?  In my current Volvo- I have creases, one with discoloring- and as such, I have asked on the last 3 services for them to look at it and repair under warranty.  Each time, they have refused- saying that it was "normal wear and tear".... and (most importantly) in writing on the service record.  When I turn the car in, I fully expect that I will not pay a dime- after all, they service manager has said it was wear and tear for the last 18 months.... and if I do- then there will be quite a fight.  

Summary-  Its probably okay.  If not, ask.  Repair under warranty if possibel.  In the worst case...document, document, document....if you get a mouthful of BS- you'll at least have it in writing.

-LT

barrysharp
04-12-2003, 07:36 PM
wiz: My 1986 Volvo 745 has burgandy/plum colored leather seats and the same left bolster of the driver's seat shows heavy creasing as well. It is probably the most used piece of seat in the car. The only way I know that might alleviate the heavy use might be to always position the seat as far back when you first get into the car. Then use a memory button to get seat where you want. This obviously is a hassle and I'm not recommending it -- just an idea.

Strangely enough I don't find the heavy creasing bothersome as the seat simply looks lovingly used http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

budrichard
04-13-2003, 06:34 AM
Barry, your 86 leather probably looks like our 87 leather. I think that for a natural product to hold up that well over 15 years is all that one can ask. The patina change and creases add to the older vehicle as in older sports cars. From what I understand, just the seating surfaces areas are actually leather in todays vehicles and the rest is an excellent match. The graphite/charcoal interior is the best looking I have ever seen.-Dick

Art
04-14-2003, 01:56 AM
As Wiz mentioned in his previous post, the creases are quite evident on the left bolster but I've become accustomed to them by now and I've also been using the Lexol conditioner on a regular basis. On a more positive note, no indicitive signs of wear and tear on the stitching to report of. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

To aid in preventing depressions in the leather, I've now resorted to covering the rear seat belt retainers with some form soft felt or cloth before lowering the seats in their folded positions for any length of time. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif