PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Groan - Reverse only

8pack
04-27-2013, 09:42 PM
I am getting a rear end groan when the car has been parked for a while, more than a day or two. It only happens when I put it in reverse and only briefly, less than a second or about 3-5 ft rolling backwards. No Noise at all when traveling forward or starting off forward. After the first time it does not repeat.

I drove the car all winter in the heavy Vermont salted roads on weekends only and parked it during the week. Caliper seizing?, rusty caliper pins or something worse like the viscous coupler?

All opinions welcome!

BillAileo
04-28-2013, 04:15 AM
Do you set the parking brake when you park it? Perhaps the shoes are not releasing completely?

howardc64
04-28-2013, 09:28 AM
I assume this is your 2000 V70XC since you've mentioned VC. I've read about emergency brake shoes delaminate and destroys everything in that area on the P2s. Not sure if similar issues on the P1s.

Also take a good look at the rear pads to make sure even wear on both inner and outer pads. If uneven, pad ears might be getting jammed

JRL
04-28-2013, 02:43 PM
GEN 1 GEN 1 not P1
A P1 is an 04 and newer S40 platform and yes the E-brakes can make some super nasty noises if a shoe came or is coming apart

8pack
05-02-2013, 09:49 AM
It is my 2007. It sounds like I used the wrong terminology when I referred to VC, maybe I meant Haldex. I don't use my ebrake, but it has suddenly developed a very long pull. Sounds like I need to pull the rear brakes and see what is going on in there. Will change out the rear suspension while I am there I guess....