PDA

View Full Version : 1st electrical problem

giralda
01-23-2003, 08:20 AM
I expected to have some electrical problems with my 02V70XC, just not so soon at 2000 miles.  The "Engine System - Service Required" warning came on last night.  Over the phone, the service department told me that the 02's are having problems with the brake sensors that would only affect cruise control.  They told me that there are no safety issues and that we can continue to drive the car until our Feb 5 appointment.  I am not sure about their diagnosis but will wait and see.  BTW, our other car, a 2000 VW Passat is currently in the shop for an oxygen sensor problem!  Maybe European cars can't handle the frigid temps here in NJ!  Ironically, my train car, a 1993 Nissan NX, has had no problems whatsoever.

budrichard
01-23-2003, 08:50 AM
How can your dealer diagnose a problem over the phone?  I assume that thier is more tham one input to that light. What they are doing is guessing that the light is due to a common problem. I would roll into the dealership and have them at least read the code and then make a decision. -Dick

giralda
01-23-2003, 09:03 AM
Dick,
We share the same thinking.  I don't know how they came to that diagnosis over the phone.  Must be a common problem.  As long as the car does not die on the road, I am okay with waiting until 2/5 for the appt.  They assured me that would not happen.  But I wonder how they would really know!

lausch
01-23-2003, 09:21 AM
The same problem occured with our '02, at about 7500 miles. Same diagnosis. We took the car in immediately.

wiz
01-23-2003, 10:02 AM
I had the same experience at around 4.5K miles. I was in New Jersey when the "Engine System - Service Required" light came on, took it to the local dealer, was told not to worry and to take the car to my own dealer when I got home.

So I did (and didn't worry). Actually it took me about a month to get it to the dealer. Turned out to be the brake sensor and after it was replaced the Cruise control worked. In my case the problem was intermittent, sometimes the warning came on, sometimes it didn't.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - there have been a number of postings about the issue here.

giralda
01-24-2003, 09:50 AM
Thanks your histories with this problem.  Did the brake sensor problem ever re-emerge?

wiz
01-24-2003, 04:59 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (giralda @ Jan. 24 2003,06:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did the brake sensor problem ever re-emerge?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well mine was fixed just a month ago and so far I have had no recurring problems. &nbsp;Probably a bad batch of sensors from the supplier to the factory. &nbsp;It happens...

scarypat2001
01-24-2003, 07:24 PM
I had this problem a while back and I read from the forum that A/T might have been the culprit. &nbsp;It was coming on and off interminently, so it was hard to diagnose.

I decided to do my own test: &nbsp;I screwed the gas cap extra hard: &nbsp;I did not rely on the click sound to confirm it was well screwed, but actually &quot;forced&quot; it by pushing on it at the same time... Never had the problem again.

My wife filled the car up, screwed it normally - the light came on again&#33; &nbsp;I suspect that the gas cap might screw up the OBDII tank pressure test, but hey, don&#39;t take my explanation for granted&#33;

Swamped
11-28-2003, 12:41 PM
Had this same message on my 2002 V70XC and it was also the brake pedal sensor. &nbsp;

Counting failed door locks for the tailgate and drivers door this is the third electrical problem I&#39;ve had to address with the dealer.

Also we had some heavy rain yesterday and while crossing 6&quot; or so of standing water the oil pressure warning came on. &nbsp;When I pulled over to check the oil it was fine, and later the warning stopped of its own accord. &nbsp;My dealer&#39;s service advisor didn&#39;t seem concerned. &nbsp;I&#39;m thinking the oil pressure sensor got wet. &nbsp;Anyone know where this is located?

Chipshot
11-28-2003, 01:01 PM
My 2003 occasionally gives me false warnings of low coolant.

gary
11-28-2003, 03:13 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chipshot @ Nov. 28 2003,12:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My 2003 occasionally gives me false warnings of low coolant.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Chipshot,

I had similar low coolant warning a couple of times on my 2003 about two months ago. Checked the resevoir bottle and the coolant level was just above the min line. I added some distilled water/coolant mix so that the level now sits closer towards the max side. No problems since....

Cheers, Gary

dcawd
11-29-2003, 08:59 AM
Last week, at 7500 miles on our 03 V70 AWD, my wife spotted a warning on the message panel about a &quot;brake assist&quot; problem. We were told that this was a problem with a faulty signal being sent by the brake pedal position sensor, which was replaced under warranty. The part number is 30665457-5, and the vadis code for the problem was BCM-0103. Service person was familiar with the problem.

FYI, we were told that the faulty sensor had no bearing on safety, and could wait to bring the car in. Having read the posts above, I&#39;ll check if the cruise control was/would have been affected by the problem.

Incidentally, I could not later call up the warning on the message panel. It came and it went. Does anyone have experience with warning messages-don&#39;t they stay on till fixed? I&#39;ve read here about people having to manually reset the message panel to get rid of service interval messages, so obviously those don&#39;t vanish...

littlewaywelt
12-01-2003, 09:24 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dcawd @ Nov. 29 2003,10:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Last week, at 7500 miles on our 03 V70 AWD, my wife spotted a warning on the message panel about a &quot;brake assist&quot; problem. We were told that this was a problem with a faulty signal being sent by the brake pedal position sensor, which was replaced under warranty. The part number is 30665457-5, and the vadis code for the problem was BCM-0103. Service person was familiar with the problem.

FYI, we were told that the faulty sensor had no bearing on safety, and could wait to bring the car in. Having read the posts above, I&#39;ll check if the cruise control was/would have been affected by the problem.

Incidentally, I could not later call up the warning on the message panel. It came and it went. Does anyone have experience with warning messages-don&#39;t they stay on till fixed? I&#39;ve read here about people having to manually reset the message panel to get rid of service interval messages, so obviously those don&#39;t vanish...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I had a light come up that read &quot;brake service urgent.&quot; &nbsp;It went away and the dealership found no fault codes or anything wrong with the brakes.

djeady
12-01-2003, 06:18 PM
We had a problem with our 02 at about 35k. Message was Engine System Service Required. Dealer set it was the brake pedal sensor and would only affect cruise. Actually drove it for a few weeks after the message before I could get it in for service and noticed no problem with cruise. Message only ever displayed once.

Brake pedal sensor was replace a couple of weeks ago and no recurrence so far.