PDA

View Full Version : Please help me, or at least have a good laugh;-)

winsotaxc
04-22-2013, 08:36 PM
I’ve been away from the world of swedish automobiles for over a decade. Truly admire the solid construction and love the handling. Did not ever expect to go back to the high maintenance, expensive parts, and mechanic unfriendliness that come with the package.

Then it happened. I acquired a salt-free 2003 XC70 with leather and 120k on the clock. WOW! What an incredible piece of engineering! I love the torque curve, handling, ride, and, it is a wagon that can pull 3300 lbs! My tightwad non-wrenching days are facing a serious threat. I need help;-)

Perhaps one of you has an elderly relative with a clean 01-05 Buick LeSabre that they have to give up. I just might yet be able to be saved;-) Probably not. I really like the XC.
Next best might be a good mechanic in the east metro St Paul MN area. If I could afford to have things done and know that they were done right I would be happy.

The car has not been entirely neglected and being salt free I expect it to be as easy to work on as a 10 year old Volvo will likely ever be. However, it is just too fine of an example not to have it fully maintained. That is likely to be a fair amount of money and or time. Likely both. I suspect I am going to be part of this community for a long time. Thank you for your contributions.

Wade

guymon
04-23-2013, 06:02 AM
I have an 01 that has spent it's entire life in Minnesota. Salt does not seem to have a grave impact on these cars. The paint and finish and underbody parts are very good. I see little to no rust on mine.

Xheart
04-23-2013, 07:27 AM
I have an 01 that has spent it's entire life in Minnesota. Salt does not seem to have a grave impact on these cars. The paint and finish and underbody parts are very good. I see little to no rust on mine.

A Great Lakes wagon for certain.

I have 2001 V70XC with 140K, no rust. I look at the exhaust for possible signs. The fasteners, nuts and bolts are easy to turn. I do not use thread locker but clean threads and torque properly.

When compared to my '97 850, it is much easier to work.