PDA

View Full Version : Simoniz?

Gater
12-31-2002, 05:17 PM
I am buying an '03 XC70 and dealer is puxhing Simoniz Teflon application. I take delivery on Friday. I have read it is not worth it. Any comments before I pickup car?
Thanks - Gater

Hiro's XC
12-31-2002, 08:05 PM
Skip it.

I was in the business for a long time. If you never intend on waxing your car you might do it. BUT you have to bring the car in for annual inspections to have the warranty validated. They might tell you that you don't but read the warranty. The inspection cost you as well. Just wax the car at least 2 times a year.  Use a tough wax, a good sythetic or silicone based one will last a long time. NOW before the firestorm come my way, I REALLY reccomend a 4 time a year wax and claying to make the car look its best. IPD sells a SERIOUS silicone based wax that will last at least 6 months. I also recommend NU-FINISH as it is easy on, easy off. JUST DON'T GET IT ON THE PLASTIC TRIM!

Congrats, and good luck with the new car.

Jason http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

Gater
01-01-2003, 08:18 AM
Thanks - have you used and Zaino Bros wax? I've read it works pretty good. Any other wax products anyone can recommend? How long should I wait to wax? Does paint have to set?
- Gater

Hiro's XC
01-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Zainos is a great "WAX" for dark colored cars. The results are average for light colored ones. Remember, nothing will give you the depth and luster of Carnuba wax. It is by far the most labor intensive of all products to use. With the cleaning, polish, if you need it, claying and 1-2 coats of wax it is indeed an all day project. I really recommend a ramdol orbital buffer. Griots Garage sells some nice products. Some complain about their prices, but for the non-expert I think they are a great resource. They will sell you the right stuff for your needs.

Jason

wiz
01-01-2003, 08:19 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gater @ Jan. 01 2003,05:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Any other wax products anyone can recommend? How long should I wait to wax? Does paint have to set?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Jason is right, Nu-Finish is very easy to use. I have an old Volvo with a solid color paint and have used Nu-Finish on it for years with excellent results.

However Nu-Finish has a slightly abrasive quality that might not work so well with the clear-coated new Volvos. CR recommends Zymöl as the least abrasive high quality wax, so I&#39;m going to give that product a shot on the new XC. You will read conflicting evidence about allowing paint to harden and &quot;when&quot; to wax, but one thing you should know is that the paint on modern European cars is water-based and comparatively &quot;soft&quot; so it does need protection. Most experts agree that you can treat and wax a car as soon as you get it - it&#39;s taken several months from build in Europe before you get your hands on it anyway.

Go check out for yourself what the experts say on this topic over in Autopia (http://www.autopia.org/).

sendwongy1
01-01-2003, 11:17 PM
I have used Zymol waxes on both my Xc and 850R and it works great. &nbsp;The paint looks as good as new, and the wax is easy to use and take off.

Eugene

budrichard
01-02-2003, 08:25 AM
My opinion of all the protection pacakges is that they are for the dealer to make money. I just wash our 99Xc and our 87 740GLE and they look fine. The 99 looks almost brand new and I go off road thru brush and everything that would make most people cringe. My 03 XC70 should show up any day now. -Dick

Hiro's XC
01-02-2003, 08:48 AM
One other thing, your new car was waxed by the dealer prior to delivery. They all are. I have never seen a new car delivery that was not. Wiz is right, the car is 3-5 months old when you get it so don&#39;t worry about the paint &quot;curing&quot;. It as hard as it will get.

Jason