PDA

View Full Version : Red Warning Light - coolant low

celtzer
04-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Well I opened the antifreeze/coolant reservoir underneath the hood and there was NOTHING in there. I just now received a warning message from the digital dash message center. Is there an anticoolant you guys recommend for this car? (2003 xc70?) Is there a specific one I need to use, like the ATF? The reason I am asking, is because the closest Volvo dealer to where I live in 2.5 hours away.

Astro14
04-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Zerex G-05 is compatible. I use the Volvo blue-green because I only have to buy a gallon to change all the coolant.

More important though: where is it leaking from? In the 4 years since I changed the T-5 coolant, I haven't had to add a drop.

When my XC started losing coolant at 155,000 miles, it was the water pump and it got a new timing belt along with fresh coolant and a WP. Coolant had been changed previously.

These things don't fix themselves...the problem will only get worse...

JRL
04-21-2013, 10:44 AM
Just a good blue/green antifreeze, not the reg GM stuff
You'll probably be changing/filling it again anyway after you find what's leaking.

No one should ever live that far from a Volvo dealer and actually OWN ONE, (IMO)

celtzer
04-21-2013, 11:28 AM
I just realized there is a Volvo dealership in Memphis...so actually there is a dealership 1hour from me, not 2.5hrs. The Timing belt was replaced at 109k..ive only owned the car for about 2 months if that.

celtzer
04-21-2013, 12:36 PM
I opened the hood and noticed the antifreeze level is right at minimum. Since it is right on the line at "minimum" is it unusual for the car to give me the red warning light saying coolant low and turn off engine?

IVIUSTANG
04-21-2013, 01:04 PM
I opened the hood and noticed the antifreeze level is right at minimum. Since it is right on the line at "minimum" is it unusual for the car to give me the red warning light saying coolant low and turn off engine?

No it's pretty normal.

celtzer
04-21-2013, 01:10 PM
I am going to use Zerex G-05 since it's compatible with Volvo's antifreeze. This should be ok, correct, even if the current antifreeze is different from the Zerex that I will top it up with?

Thank you!

JRL
04-21-2013, 01:31 PM
At the minimum line hot or cold?
It needs to be closer to the top line COLD
If hot, that's too low

BillAileo
04-21-2013, 04:56 PM
You noted that you have only owned the car for two months. Do you know whether the antifreeze in it now is Volvo's or something else?

celtzer
04-21-2013, 05:25 PM
You noted that you have only owned the car for two months. Do you know whether the antifreeze in it now is Volvo's or something else?

Unfortunately, I don't know what brand of antifreeze is currently in it.

perkinscl
04-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Make sure your tranny is shifting OK. Coolant can leak into the transmission cooler and eat your trans up pretty quick. I unfortunately know about this.

Astro14
04-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Make sure your tranny is shifting OK. Coolant can leak into the transmission cooler and eat your trans up pretty quick. I unfortunately know about this.

check the transmission dipstick...red is OK...pink and foamy and overfilled is not...

Tahoe_XC
04-22-2013, 09:31 PM
Celtzer, what did your buddy say about the coolant level when he did your oil change and tranny flush? FYI, when checking the tranny fluid in Astro14 post remember to check the level with the car running. Cold line on tranny dip stick is measured after car has been idling for 15 min and hot is after 30+ min drive. Fluid should be red.