PDA

View Full Version : 2003 xc tranny issue...

dcninja123
04-17-2013, 12:26 PM
So the tranny issue is finally happening was hard shifting and all that not shifting the works. now the engine light is on, tranny service message, and everything has smoothed out fine even though it has no low end power. i knew it would go into this mode. how long can i drive it like that? 2-3 grand is a lot of upfront money that I don't have and can't get on credit right now. It's bee at least 6 months. will i damage anything driving it when it's "limp mode" for lack of a better word on the tranny? What are my options at this point? new tranny? used tranny? rebuild? cost? etc? I know this has been covered before but there's always new information and insight that people can give when you ask them directly. :)

JRL
04-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Not long

jda2000
04-18-2013, 08:32 AM
First, invest in a vida/dice setup.

Second, replace the tranny fluid using the Gibbons method.

Use newly acquired setup and reset the tranny fluid counter and reset the TCM adaptives. Afterwards, clear all the stored fault codes with same device. This might be all you

need, if not it will buy you some time for a couple of hundred dollars.

dcninja123
04-19-2013, 01:01 PM
JRL... when you say not long...what is your reasoning behind that?

What does the transmission service mode actually do when it's in that mode?

JRL
04-19-2013, 01:39 PM
My reasoning is 15 years with selling Volvos
If you continue to drive it, it WILL blow up soon enough

Astro14
04-19-2013, 08:31 PM
JRL is right.

If it's been hard shifting and not shifting, then it's been damaged...and it may, or may not, be repairable.

It smoothed out because it's not shifting any more, it's starting out in 2nd or 3rd from dead stop in limp home mode and if you keep driving it, you will fry what's left. Limp home mode is just that - enough to get you off the road and to a shop...not to keep operating the car....it certainly didn't fix itself...and I think you're looking at a new transmission (rebuild). The real question is this: when it first had troubles, why did you keep driving it?

dcninja123
04-21-2013, 05:47 PM
No choice but to drive it. Only have 2 cars. Both my wife and I work. She's a teacher so she has summers off so summer is going to be a good time to get it fixed. In the process of saving money. She's going to drive the volvo to school since it's a 15 min drive, shorter drive than mine. We're doing what we can anyway. Should be about 3 grand for a rebuild on it I'm assuming?

JRL
04-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Fine, then it completely fail, and soon

dcninja123
04-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Awesome! I think it did this morning. Could just be a dead battery I'll have to jump it and see. It started fine yesterday, that's why I don't think that's it, but I didn't let it run very long after I started it yesterday. Oh well. We can get by on one car for a while if schedules work out. I've heard 3 grand for a while being thrown out about trannys, is that a rebuild or a replacement price?

JRL
04-22-2013, 04:53 AM
You may be able to find someone to rebuild and install it for 3K, new is closer to 5K
Most shops won't touch this transmission

dcninja123
04-22-2013, 03:32 PM
what about a place like aamco? they warranty their stuff so if they work on it would that work, or is this more than likely one of those things everyone will say take it to the stealership for?

JRL
04-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Some do, some don't
We have a Cottman Transmission here that does these but it's still $3500 incl all labor for a full rebuild
These are very tricky to rebuild, most who do it the first time botch it up

dcninja123
04-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Well I'm still looking for someone in this area who will do it. That being said I've also contacted my insurance/car loan people about securing a loan so I can cover the cost of the transmission when I do get it done. Currently, I believe my battery is dead and it's not the transmission that kept it from starting so tomorrow I'll break out the sockets and take off the battery cover in the back, I've never done it but I hope the volvo batteries have standard terminals and it's not some special thing that keeps me from jumping it. At least then I can drive to the place when it's time.

JRL
04-25-2013, 07:25 PM
You jump a P2 from under the hood, there's a charging bolt to clamp to... NEVER jump it at the battery
It's under a little plastic cover with a + on top.
Open it up, put the positive cable on that bolt, the negative on a good ground, the engine cross brace is fine.
Let sit for a minute and try it

dcninja123
05-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Why do I not jump it from the battery? What could happen? I've never heard of that.

Also for anyone wanting an update I found a place an hour and a half away that will install a volvo reman tranny for 4500. I think I'll get this done in june. Then I'll know the transmission is covered and guaranteed. Also took out a warranty through USAA so if anything breaks in the future it'll be 100% covered no deduct. Car is not more than 10 years old and under 115k so it barely got in on time. Wish I had known about this before. Oh well.

JRL
05-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Why do I not jump it from the battery? What could happen? I've never heard of that.

I'm not going to continue to keep explaining things to you, it's in your owner's manual and why do you really care?
It's sooooooooooo much easier to just jump it from under the hood, it's not funny
In the back you need to take a bunch of stuff out just to even get TO the battery!

dcninja123
05-07-2013, 12:04 PM
I was just curious. Couldn't find it in a google search... but back to the tranny issue...

4500 for a volvo reman (didnt ask about warranty yet)
or
2200 for one out of an 04 with 97k miles and six month warranty

I'm leaning toward the volvo reman... but the price does sound a lot better on the other one...did they correct valve body issues in 04? Are 04 known for problems like the 01-03 ones are?

perkinscl
05-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Ninja, there is a shop in Newark, DE - All Trans on Albe Drive that rebuilds our trannys in their shop. Probably about 2.5 hrs from you. I quizzed the owner pretty good (to figure out if they really know our trans), he even showed me a Nissan he had in the shop with a variant of our Aisin trans. He quoted me $3200-3500 to rebuild with a stronger valve body.

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but they seemed very knowledgeable and price reasonable.

dcninja123
05-07-2013, 06:06 PM
That sounds like a good price. Is the stronger valve body from 04 and up or is it an aftermarket or something?

perkinscl
05-08-2013, 10:49 AM
That sounds like a good price. Is the stronger valve body from 04 and up or is it an aftermarket or something?
I am guessing that he rebuilds the existing valve body. One of the reasons why I contacted them was because on his Facebook page, he specifically mentions rebuilding our valve body with a Sonnax kit. You could always call them, I think the owner's name is Mark. Again, I'm not affiliated, maybe you can find a similar place closer to you.

dcninja123
05-08-2013, 06:41 PM
thanks for all the help guys!