PDA

View Full Version : Trailrer towing

North Coast XC
10-11-2002, 02:01 PM
I've moved this topic over to this section in hopes that someone with a tow package might share their experience.

I know there have been threads on towing already but have been mostly about type and intstalation.  

Does anyone have experience towing something like a U-haul trailer?  Can this be done?  Is it practical, safe, etc.?  There is a guide in the manual but I am looking for actual experience from someone.

Thanks
Patrick

Art
10-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Hi Patrick, http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I don't have any towing experience with the XC myself, but I did come across this older thread from a member in Germany who uses his XC to tow his horse trailer (http://xc70.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=28)

I also noticed in the photo section pictures of Abfab's XC towing a loaded boat trailer (http://www.v70xc.com/pics/ab_fab/index.html).

I guess you could always fire them off an e-mail or PM if you need more advice. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

HeadXC
10-11-2002, 08:49 PM
I tow a Boat and Snowmobile trailer with my 02 and 99, with the Volvo OEM hitch (Euro style), 99 Toes better with load leveler shocks that i did not know did not come on the 02 until i dropped the boat on for the first time.
I would not trust a U-haul trailer period, i have seen too many accidents becasue of poor maintanance on the trailer.
The OEM (Euro) hitch is awesome all though i just about
S%^t when i got the price on the 99 but ever since loved it better than the square tube insert type, and insisted on the EURO style agian for the 02. There is absolutely no play in the system on starts and stops or over bumps that you get with the Reese/Drawtite styles. Is is just like part of the car frame with no play.

Ab_Fab
10-12-2002, 12:52 PM
Hi NorthCoast,

Yip I tow my 19 foot boat often with the XC. I am very impressed with the way the XC tows, more than enough torque from the low pressure turbo and the trailer travels very nicely behind the XC (after a while you almost forget it is there.)

My tow hitch is different from the standard one as it is installed by a NZ company (cheaper and more hidden), but I would think all major hitch brands would be fine.

Hope this helps, drop me an email if you have specific questions.

Neil

P.S. The AWD is awesome to tow the boat off the beach. While everyone else is sliding and getting stuck (even some 4WD's) I just keep an even amount of power and drive away!

Falron
10-13-2002, 03:05 AM
I regularly tow a box trailer and occasionally my boat.

With a trailer loaded (well, overloaded really) with concrete slabs which probably had a total weight of approx. 1.3 tonnes (the legal weight is 750 Kgs) the XC pulled fine - a little slower at the lights but what really impressed me was the behaviour at speed and the braking. The trailer has no brakes but everthing pulled up perfect and all this on a rather broken dirt road with corrigations, pot holes etc.

Before I bought the XC I read the brochure cover to cover - there is a section which describes how the AWD operates when towing - Whilst I was sceptical at the time I am now convinced that the AWD coupling does operate as described and much better than I believed possible.

I did not buy the XC with towing in mind but it has exceeded my expectations many times over. I'm not sure if I would tow a heavy van any distance, but then I haven't tried it yet. It may suprise again!

to_jayson
10-14-2002, 05:11 AM
Hi Patrick,

I towed a U-Haul trailer from San Antonio Texas to Chicoutimi Quebec in 8 days.

I had originally installed the Euro style hitch, but the day that I picked it up from the dealer, I saw that Volvo had come out with their very own square insert type. I decided to make them change it since I was thinking of using the hitch for other accessories such as a bike rack etc. and did not want to be stuck in having to buy Volvo accessories all the time given the excessive price.

As for towing the U-Haul, it went great. I could hardly feel that I had a trailer back there, except for one thing. The square insert hitch is not as tight a fit as the round insert (Euro style). I don't know why Volvo didn't manufacture some thing more tight fitting, like their other one (probably because they sub-contracted to another company). This caused a little play and was mostly noticeable on take offs, stops, and bumps.

A couple words of advice though: I was going 150 Km/h with it on the highway. It went fine, but some one told me that this is bad on the transmission. I should have known myself. Anyway as a precaution, some people suggest switching to synthetic transmission oil if you are going to tow. I did, even if I do not plan on towing any more. The extra cost for the synthetic will still be cheaper than a new transmission... Do the same for the engine as well. You won't regret it.

Cheers,

Jason.

Gundo
10-14-2002, 06:57 AM
Can anyone fill me in on the plusses/minuses of towing with a turbo?

I would assume you are using the turbo much more than in normal motoring, creating premature wear.

Obviously not a problem if you only tow occasionally....but towing a 2 ton boat every weekend would be a bit taxing, I imagine.

That said, just about all big rigs have turbo-diesel engines, so the theory of using a turbo has certainly been tested....

Hiro's XC
10-14-2002, 07:37 AM
I think an extended cool down would be in order after towing and a synthetic oil as well. As far as the turbo goes, the trans will shift down if it needs to to help pull the load, but you might want to put it in 4th on a grade to bring the revs up. This will use the natural power of the engine vs. using the turbo on boost at lower revs for a constant 8lb boost situation. You mentioned diesels, my TDI Jetta has big injectors and a chip, 19.5 to 1 compression and 18-20 lbs of boost and has seen a lot of mountain time with no difficulties. I just don't lug the motor at low revs. Turbos make great tow vehicles as you don't have to constantly plant your foot to keeep it moving.

Jason

HeadXC
10-15-2002, 08:16 PM
Isn't Volvo running synthetic trani fluid anyways? Since all the problems with the 01 and earlier models, i think one of the "updates" was a change to synthetic tranmission oil?

North Coast XC
10-16-2002, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

What size of a trailer did you tow Jayson?   Forgive my ignorance, were their brakes on the trailer and if so, how are they intregrated with the cars brake system?

Thanks again  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Patrick

North Coast XC
10-16-2002, 06:02 PM
For those with the Volvo hitch, I just received a fax from a Volvo dealership that refers to "Accessories Buletin Travel No. 29: Square Profile Hitches" with part # 9451995-6 listed for a '99.

Is this the same hitch you have?

Thanks again,
Patrick

wiz
10-17-2002, 09:14 AM
Anyone have a sideways-on pic of the new OEM square receiver hitch?

I'm concerned about ground clearance, would consider buying the OEM if the ground clearance was better than the Da'Lan.