PDA

View Full Version : Towng

alphacat63
04-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Hi folks- New guy here in Charleston WV. Just bought a Volvo C30 for my wife- LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT![thumbup][thumbup], Now I'm thinking of a Volvo XC60 or XC70 for my next tow vehicle. I'm towing a small travel trailer (currently with a Toyota FJ Cruiser- gas mileage SUCKS[mad2]) Anyway, the trailer is 15' from tongue to rear bumber, 2490lbs dry weight, 290lbs tongue weight. Like I said, I'm thinking about the XC60 or XC70, but before I plunk down a bunch of coin, I wanted to get some impressions from other owners about towing. What do you tow? Is a WD hitch necessary? (I currently do not need one w/ my FJ) What about wiring the brake controller? (it was pretty simple on my FJ). I know there has been a LOT of discussion about the hitch weight limits on the Volvos. Not sure I understand why they say they can tow 3300lbs yet the tongue weight is limited to 165lbs? :confused: Any thoughts?

Thanks

XCovlov70
04-02-2013, 12:16 AM
Hi alphacat63,

We tow a 'Tin Tent' (Caravan) which is 18' and 3300lbs with our XC70 AWD D5 and have enjoyed every mile of around 30,000 that we have covered on different trips with the 'Tin Tent' hitched up.[thumbup][thumbup]
A few of the trips are in the Cross Country Drive Reports section of this forum which might give you some idea of the capability of the XC70 if you take a look and see some of the roads & 'piste' (Non Tarmac) we travelled on .

While I think it is the best Volvo that I have owned in over 45 years of owning and driving them we did 'test drive' an XC60 before we got the XC70 but while it was a very nice car I have found the XC70 better.

I also understand from a couple of XC60 owners whom we met that they find when towing that the car is quite stiff on the suspension.

Good luck with your choice

P.s. If I go over the 165lbs (75Kgs) on the tongue weight the 50mm Tow Ball squeals like a Mother in law having a bad day when going around corners!
You will also find that a Volvo wiring harness plugs straight into the socket under the luggage area, so no fiddling with trying to sort out which wire goes where!

alphacat63
04-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Hi alphacat63,

We tow a 'Tin Tent' (Caravan) which is 18' and 3300lbs with our XC70 AWD D5 and have enjoyed every mile of around 30,000 that we have covered on different trips with the 'Tin Tent' hitched up.[thumbup][thumbup]
A few of the trips are in the Cross Country Drive Reports section of this forum which might give you some idea of the capability of the XC70 if you take a look and see some of the roads & 'piste' (Non Tarmac) we travelled on .

While I think it is the best Volvo that I have owned in over 45 years of owning and driving them we did 'test drive' an XC60 before we got the XC70 but while it was a very nice car I have found the XC70 better.

I also understand from a couple of XC60 owners whom we met that they find when towing that the car is quite stiff on the suspension.

Good luck with your choice

P.s. If I go over the 165lbs (75Kgs) on the tongue weight the 50mm Tow Ball squeals like a Mother in law having a bad day when going around corners!
You will also find that a Volvo wiring harness plugs straight into the socket under the luggage area, so no fiddling with trying to sort out which wire goes where!

Are you saying your tongue weight is 165lbs? Mine is 290lbs- I'm just wondering how it would do with that?

XCovlov70
04-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Are you saying your tongue weight is 165lbs? Mine is 290lbs- I'm just wondering how it would do with that?

Yes. The 'tongue weight' (On this side of the Pond we call it 'Nose Weight) is around 165lbs (75Kgs).

As I said previously if we go above the 165lbs the tow ball squeals like a Mother in Law who has had a bad hair day! [nonono]

We normally have to balance off with heavy items on the floor over the axle that does not really influence the nose weight, as we have a balance fitted into the nose wheel we can then move items around between front and back to bring the weight to the 165lbs on the nose wheel which stops the tow ball from screaming as we go around corners.

cattlecar
04-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Trailers are configured differently in Europe. The usual weight distribution is 5% on tongue so the Volvo specs abide by the Euro standard. They have surge brakes and need no electric brake controller.
You can add an electric brake controller.
For lights you will either need the Volvo accessory wiring harness or a trailer lamp module that is self powered. The bulbs on trailer can't be directly tapped into the bulb feeds on the car. The self-powered modules draw miniscule currents from the tie-ins to light circuit. The power to trailer bulbs is from the power supply to module. Lots of cars use transistorized lamp controls now and can't have trailer supply tied in the old way.
Your trailer has tongue weight above usual 8-10% on US trailers. Is there something you carry in trailer that can be moved? Is that tongue weight measured with water tank full?
Volvos will take 300 pounds tongue weight but they will ride tail low. I imagine your FJ was that way with that TW.

alphacat63
04-04-2013, 07:06 AM
Trailers are configured differently in Europe. The usual weight distribution is 5% on tongue so the Volvo specs abide by the Euro standard. They have surge brakes and need no electric brake controller.
You can add an electric brake controller.
For lights you will either need the Volvo accessory wiring harness or a trailer lamp module that is self powered. The bulbs on trailer can't be directly tapped into the bulb feeds on the car. The self-powered modules draw miniscule currents from the tie-ins to light circuit. The power to trailer bulbs is from the power supply to module. Lots of cars use transistorized lamp controls now and can't have trailer supply tied in the old way.
Your trailer has tongue weight above usual 8-10% on US trailers. Is there something you carry in trailer that can be moved? Is that tongue weight measured with water tank full?
Volvos will take 300 pounds tongue weight but they will ride tail low. I imagine your FJ was that way with that TW.

It just happens to be the way my camper is constructed. This is empty weight. Besides, the water tank is near the back end of the trailer. My FJ does not sag one bit.

XCovlov70
04-04-2013, 01:40 PM
Electronic brake controllers are being installed on more and more vehicles over here but they do not influence the tongue/nose weight of the hitch.

Having seen Toyotas towing units twice as long as themselves over here with double axles on some of the units they do not sag either but I think that might be due to the heavier and stiffer springs that some owners have had fitted, as well as fairly even loading across the floor of the trailer.

While the XC70 comes with self levelling suspension over here, not sure about over your side of the Pond, I carry in a front locker that goes across the front of the 'Tin Tent' and is around 3 feet back from the hitch, 2 x 34lbs Propane Gas Bottles, 1 Spare Wheel (For the 'Tin Tent') of around 25lbs and some other items that collectively weigh in at another 30Lbs, while behind that under a fixed double bed is a large storage area also with items in and a gas/electric water heater, result is the the jockey wheel shows around 200lbs, but by putting other items in the rear of the 'Tin Tent' either on the floor or under the U shaped seats we decrease the weight on the jockey wheel/tongue/nose getting it back to between 120 to 160lbs.
The water tank is also in the rear section, which we try to keep empty when travelling, along with a 125Amp Leisure Battery for the 'Tin Tent's' 12V power, and that weighs in at around 60Lbs.

This tongue/nose weight along with friction pads inside the hitch socket that clamp on the tow ball when the hitch is closed down virtually eliminates snaking of the trailer/'Tin Tent' while if the tongue/nose weight is any heavier then it starts squealing especially when going around corners.