PDA

View Full Version : Is my 2005 turbo shot?

Volky_one
03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Today I openned and checked my Turbo from 2005 XC70( new to me by-the-way) and found oil in the intercooler pipe, could this be indication that my turbo oil seal rings are bad and need a turbo rebuilt or replaced?
I could not take pictures but the leaking looks bad and I have loss of power when engine is cold, after warmed up, it is better but still slow in low gears.

howardc64
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Probably not. PCV system dumps oily crankcase vapor into the air intake just before turbo. Intercooler pipe will be coated with this oily vapor and gradually pool by gravity. You will see oil mainly at the rubber hose between turbo and intercooler pipe due to this. Both of my Turboed P2s were like this. That rubber hose will wear and crack due to heat+constant oil presence. Might want to change that worn out hose at 150k miles if original.

Volky_one
03-23-2013, 04:22 PM
The car has 98K miles and I could see no cracks on the hose.if it is this case could an oil catch can be installed to reduce that oil?

Astro14
03-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Same observation as Howard. Both my P2 cars are this way. Clean it, clean the ETM while you're at it, re-install the pipe and forget about it. Clean it again in another 50,000 miles...

howardc64
03-23-2013, 08:31 PM
The car has 98K miles and I could see no cracks on the hose.if it is this case could an oil catch can be installed to reduce that oil?

FYI, here is what has happened to that hose on a few member's car. Replaced mine at 115k, the hose was definitely weakening. Here is a pic and the whole thread might be a useful read.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?23063-2001-XC-leaking-Turbo&p=157800#post157800

I can't envision any method to catch this oil and returning it to the oil pan. The oil collects on the output path of the turbo which is compressed air. Definitely don't want to pipe that positive pressure back into the crankcase. By design for emissions requirement, most of the oil vapor is sent through the intake and gets burned up.

Here is a link for reference on PCV system on why its necessary and how it works for emissions requirement.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/positive-crankcase-ventilation-system.htm

And at 100k, Astro's advice to clean the ETM is a good idea. ETM is where this PCV oily vapor has a bigger effect of gunking up the butterfly mechanicals.

Volky_one
03-24-2013, 08:24 AM
I did test this morning using 2 methods as described somewhere on this forum, first by opening the oil fill cap and putting on a rubber glove, engine running and sure it did no suck, instead the glove was a little inflated with air.the second methos was to simply pull the dipstick while the engine was running and warm, and the smoke(vapor) came out of the dipstick hole.
The next thing to do is to find way to get PCV cleanned if I cannot do the job myself.
Thanks to you all with helpful advices.

howardc64
03-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Its good that you caught the clogged PCV early before any leaks develops. 01-02 PCV is easier than the newer ones and isn't too bad. It looks harder than it really is. Here are the notes on this job

http://howardsvolvos.webs.com/engine.htm#487754928

Volky_one
03-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Its good that you caught the clogged PCV early before any leaks develops. 01-02 PCV is easier than the newer ones and isn't too bad. It looks harder than it really is. Here are the notes on this job

http://howardsvolvos.webs.com/engine.htm#487754928

My thanks go to you all for without your knowlege, I could not have made it .However during the process I encountered one inconvenience, while cleaning the PCV, I found that one small tube is broken, I don't know if I broke it or if it was already broken causing the oil to go thru the turbo. Icture of the tube attached.
Now I know that out there there are prenty of PCV kits available but Do I need to replace the whole thing the oil trap and hoses? or I just can get individual hose or tube? what are your recomendations? thanks

DYZ
03-30-2013, 06:40 AM
I broke that tube when I took off the intake manifold to replace the crankcase ventilation hose. My PCV system was pretty clean then at 80K miles, so I only cleaned it up and replaced the broken tube with a piece of fuel line hose (I bought the hose from Home Depot, and if I remember it correctly, the hose is 3/16'' (ID) and I used a length of about 7").

DYZ

howardc64
03-30-2013, 08:56 AM
When I helped a nearby volvo owner with PCV on his 02 V70XC, he also broke that tube. It is really brittle. You can remove the tube and replace it with some fairly hard replacement tube from autostore that won't compress under vacuum. I recall the current tube had 2 layers and the outer layer is just a rubber protective sleeve for the harder inner tube that channels the vacuum. I recall you need a small clamp to secure it on the big L shaped hose.

Regarding what to replace. You have 2 choices. Replace everything or everything minus the big L shaped hose. I didn't do the big L shaped hose on 3 cars because they looked clean inside and it was expensive. You can buy kits (often come with clamps) or order individual parts as long as you get them all.

Volky_one
03-31-2013, 05:00 PM
I figured I'd rather buy a complete replacement kit from IPD USA and replace the whole thing while everything is still out of the way. the complete kit is $380 plus shipping. I have to keep the car on the ramps for at least a week before I can put everything back together.
This way I will not have to worry about PCV for at least next 50K miles.
Any idea on how to lock the back of the car while the battery is still disconnected?