PDA

View Full Version : Driveaxle on 2000 V70

AndyMan7778
03-22-2013, 08:33 AM
I replaced the left front (drivers) axle on my 2000 V70 xc and the dang thing popped out a little bit , leaked some fluid, and is making expensive noises. How do you seat the axle in the trans to make sure it is in there properly? I hammered it in there and the inner assembly was up against the trans housing-I couldn't get my finger in between it, so I figured it was good. 75 miles later it had worked its way out. So how do I make sure the axle is seated without boogering the inner boot-is there a trick to this? I have been working on cars for 25 years and this issue has always been a pain. Any input is appreciated-thanks

JRL
03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Depends on what brand of axle and if it was the correct axle
There are several and installing (or trying to) the wrong one happens all the time

AndyMan7778
03-24-2013, 01:58 PM
Depends on what brand of axle and if it was the correct axle
There are several and installing (or trying to) the wrong one happens all the time

Thats what i was wondering because ive had problems with remanned axles before on toyotas and such. I popped the axle out of the trans and looked in there, didnt see anything horrible, then i took the inner cv clamp off and separated the inner drive assembly from the rest of the axle. I put it back in the trans and hammered it in until it stopped. put the resr of the axle together, drove the car, and it is still making the same noise. it is now sitting and my moms in a warm garage when i should be driving it around in this 10" of snow we are getting todAY! CARS peeve me off sometimes. I was gonna return this axle and get one from a salvage yard and see what happens with that one. Does anybody think this will have messed up my trans somehow? I only drove it a few miles after i heard this when i parked it. The sound is like a cv crack when you have a bad joint but it is coming from the inner drive cv area. thanks for your help!