PDA

View Full Version : Side Mirror Bulb / LED Upgrade / Door Light Switch

Oka
03-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Side Mirror Courtesy Light Bulb:
Had the car for a month now and just discovered it has Courtesy Lamp Bulbs at the side door mirrors.
I took both bulbs out and found out one of the bulb is burnt.
- Would it be the reason for the other bulb not to come on when the door is opened? Both bulbs don't seem to have their own fuse and all lightings are working well.
- Though the bulb wattage is on the back of the lighting housing, I could find the wattage in the owner's manual or in two Volvo parts sites I went online.

LED Light Upgrade:
Kinda disappointed I could not find anything on LED Upgrade with the search function. I tried all combinations but got nothing. Anyone replaced the interior bulbs with LED? Just personal preferences;
I like fluorescent, LED, full-spectrum or daylight lighting systems.

Door Light Switch (For Courtesy Lights)?
I have been used to the black pin-switch on the door chassis frame to turn on the dome light when the door is opened. In the Volvo technology, what controls the lights when the door is opened?

JRL
03-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Side Mirror Courtesy Light Bulb:
Had the car for a month now and just discovered it has Courtesy Lamp Bulbs at the side door mirrors.
I took both bulbs out and found out one of the bulb is burnt.
- Would it be the reason for the other bulb not to come on when the door is opened? Both bulbs don't seem to have their own fuse and all lightings are working well.
- Though the bulb wattage is on the back of the lighting housing, I could find the wattage in the owner's manual or in two Volvo parts sites I went online.

LED Light Upgrade:
Kinda disappointed I could not find anything on LED Upgrade with the search function. I tried all combinations but got nothing. Anyone replaced the interior bulbs with LED? Just personal preferences;

Door Light Switch (For Courtesy Lights)?
I have been used to the black pin-switch on the door chassis frame to turn on the dome light when the door is opened. In the Volvo technology, what controls the lights when the door is opened?

Inside lights are controlled by a switch in the lock itself
Lights in the mirrors are called Puddle Lights and come on when the yellow button on the remote is pushed.
I don't believe they come on when the door is opened (not 100% on that)

Oka
03-16-2013, 03:56 PM
JRL, thanks for the information.
What if one installs an aftermarket remote start/door locking system, would it also control the Puddle Lights?

JRL
03-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Probably not
It all goes thru the CAN BUS
and if you bypass that, I don't think they will work
These are networked cars

I_am_perfect
03-19-2013, 09:15 AM
http://www.eurosporttuning.ca/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EST02&Product_Code=EMD-T10-VL1&Category_Code=VL-V70-ex

C7mb
03-19-2013, 09:25 AM
LED Light Upgrade:

Are you looking to swap just the overhead lights, or every light in the car (CCM lights, Gauge lights, Door lights, Footwell lights)? I have swapped EVERY light I can find in my 04XC to LED so let me know which lights you want to swap and I can help you out!

I don't believe they come on when the door is opened (not 100% on that)

They do turn on when the door is open!

Oka
05-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Are you looking to swap just the overhead lights, or every light in the car (CCM lights, Gauge lights, Door lights, Footwell lights)? I have swapped EVERY light I can find in my 04XC to LED so let me know which lights you want to swap and I can help you out!

I really would like to replace all the interior lights. The headlight would be pricey and as said, might not focus properly as the OEM ones. The attached image is for all the interior bulbs I would need.

They do turn on when the door is open!
Just got an aftermarket remote start/door control (CodeAlarm Ca5153) installed by a the outfit that the Volvo dealer refers Volvoans to. How I wish I would be to have the side mirrow lights come on when the door is remotely opened. The bulbs seem to be fine - intact filament.

Ocean Racer
05-14-2013, 12:46 AM
I was able to replace the courtesy mirror lights with some of these.

They worked well.

http://img0014.popscreencdn.com/102416498_amazoncom-amico-white-5050-smd-15-led-festoon-car-roof-.jpg

Oka
05-14-2013, 10:01 AM
I was able to replace the courtesy mirror lights with some of these.

They worked well.

I was wondering about the size of the panel you used. I guess it fit well inside behind the lense.
How about the other interior bulbs - reading lights in the middle (back seat), and others? The one you used is the same one I really would like to use also.

The courtesy lights have four (OEM) bulbs up there. Which ones did you change or how is your configurations to which bulb?
Did you use only one panel or more than one?

Thanks.