PDA

View Full Version : Need a 2nd key + fob, but $300+ !!

DakotaMike
03-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Hi all, new here, great site and I'm glad I found it.

When I purchased my '03 it only came with one key and 1 fob. My local Volvo dealer wants $300+ to buy a 2nd one and I would need to drive the 400 mile round trip to have it programmed. Is there a way around paying that much and having to go to the dealer to program a new unit?

Thanks!

acools
03-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Unfortunately, not really.

Not the news you want, I know, but atleast you have a confirmation.

JRL
03-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Dealer price is usually more than $300 for a switchblade key so for retail, the price is not awful

DakotaMike
03-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Dealer price is usually more than $300 for a switchblade key so for retail, the price is not awful

Yeah, they quoted $348. I know VW/Audi ask a lot more. I guess I'll grab the ankles on this one.

KevinR
03-11-2013, 01:58 PM
I had the same situation as you. I bought the key at full (and possibly more) price from my local dealer. When I showed them an online ad selling the remote for $40 less than their price, they just replied that they couldn't do anything about the price. So I walked out and ordered the remote online from Tasca Volvo.

When I had everything in my possession I took the car, the existing key & remote and the new key & remote to the service department who charged me about $230 for software and programming. All in, about $365. In retrospect, I wish I'd checked with Tasca to see if they could have sold me the key for less.

The sad thing is that I spoke with my car's previous owner who told me she provided all 3 keys and 2 remotes to the car when she traded it in. (I was going to offer to buy them from her if they were still in her possession.) The numbskulls at the dealership lost or tossed them.

Moral of the story: when buying a car make sure you get all keys and remotes or lower your offer accordingly.

mapper
03-12-2013, 06:19 AM
Remote door locks were such a cool thing until manufacturers turned it into a way to completely rip you off. Of course, never to be outdone, the service departments find a way to get in on the assault. Words don't describe how much I hate dealerships.

For my VW the key fob can be had for about $50 and I can program it myself. For my Chevy the fob can be purchased at a local auto parts store and home programmed. Ripping you off for keys...and dealer only software uploads, another way Volvo was leading the way forward![thumbup]

DakotaMike
03-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Remote door locks were such a cool thing until manufacturers turned it into a way to completely rip you off. Of course, never to be outdone, the service departments find a way to get in on the assault. Words don't describe how much I hate dealerships.

For my VW the key fob can be had for about $50 and I can program it myself. For my Chevy the fob can be purchased at a local auto parts store and home programmed. Ripping you off for keys...and dealer only software uploads, another way Volvo was leading the way forward![thumbup]

I agree, my Toyota Matrix and my daughters Maxima allows you to program the fobs yourself so i'm a little miffed at having to pay the dealership to do it. If I just want a new key it is $75 for one that just unlocks the doors but about $160 if you want to start the engine (!). [sly]