PDA

View Full Version : Newbee, XC70 questions

GavinH
03-04-2013, 12:55 AM
Hello form Aus

How are we all doing, We are currently looking at down sizing out car from a Isuzu trooper 2002 to a Volvo XC70 2004 with around 110K on the clock. Before i came to Aus i was running 240's, 740/60's and loved them they were easy to fix with a couple of spanners and very limited electronics apart from 760. So the car im looking at has had 1 lady owner from new and a full service log book.

What are the bad points of the car, problematic or prone to failure, good points are they easy to do your own maintenance on ie servicing, do they req a pacific type of oil or ATF, etc, etc . How dose the drive train hold up being mainly front then crossing to rear when req'd.

Any info would be great cause the car look imaculet as we went to look at it today but the dealership was closed

Regards

Gav

billr99
03-04-2013, 05:28 AM
Very briefly, I would offer that the P2 cars are not overly difficult to self-service but they are no 200/700/900 seres car. Far from that in fact. Not as easy as a 800 series either but similar in the general lack of room under the hood as compared to the old cars. Suspension and brake work is about the same. Then you have the whole electronics thing. You will need your own VIDA/DiCE setup if you want to make diagnostics do-able. Generic scanners just don't get you close enough in real data to be all that useful.

Beyond this, I would suggest you just take a couple of hours and go thru some of the threads in this forum. At one time or another we've pretty well hit just about everything so you can see the good, bad and truly ugly that these cars can offer you.

Good luck,

Bill

GavinH
03-04-2013, 06:56 AM
thanks for that Bill, Know if i buy a car it's always a complete fluid change, brakes and suspension are pretty much the same on any motor as for the electronics, i use to find the old motronic systems on the late 760's V6 were abit of a hand full, always ended up being a bloody sensor. as for modern electronics well it is what it is i have something similar to a a GM tech 2 machine on the android phone for fault finding on the trooper which both have never really let me down.