PDA

View Full Version : How far will they go?

Joe1542
02-23-2013, 08:49 AM
I have a 2002 XC 70 I purchased new and now has 135,000 miles and has been maintained according to Volvo's schedule. With this many miles, is it time to start thinking of replacing it? I have recently retired and have some long road trips planned. If it's"good to go" is there anything special I need to do?

JRL
02-23-2013, 08:59 AM
If all the services are up to date and you've replaced parts that are worn, renewed the breather box and suspension, it can go a very long way

John@CdnRockies
02-25-2013, 05:23 PM
I dont see you having any problems ìf you only have 135,000 miles at this point. The 2002`s were knowing for having some Haldex issues, but if you havent experienced it yet then you are probably fine. Our 2004 has 150,000 miles (240,00 kilometers) and it runs fine. I expect that it will exceed 225,000 miles without major issues. I have run other cars this far before so I have some confidence in my assessment.

Astro14
02-25-2013, 05:28 PM
The Dark Knight is pushing 350,000 miles (not km) in his...he would be the one to ask!

Me? It has over 165,000 and with its new suspension, feels ready for another 165,000

JRL
02-25-2013, 05:42 PM
(sigh)
2002s do NOT have a Haldex system

olevolvo
02-25-2013, 06:51 PM
I've replaced worn parts, not maintained at the level that many here do. ( I don't pound on the car) At 180,000 drove it to New Mexico. I have close to 200k now and wouldn't be afraid to drive it coast to coast.

coflynn
03-01-2013, 02:28 PM
You might want to think about doing a few things beyond the recommended service too. Some of the fluids (notably the transmission) have no replacement interval, so it's well worth looking into that.... just search the site I think there's tons of threads about how to, fluid type, etc.

JRL
03-01-2013, 03:26 PM
If you want it go to 300K you will need to (maintain it like some of us do)!

TheDarkKnightt
03-14-2013, 04:14 AM
I've now got 341K on my 2005xc....I know it's got a bit of age on it and I need to do some work on it when it gets warmer (I'm putting it off until I won't freeze while doing it!), but it's still going!

Highway/interstate miles won't hurt one, but a two-mile commute to work will. It has to get a chance to get warmed up and get the fluids circulating. It's not as smooth riding as it used to be, and I need to do some updating- but it'll still get me there.

Biggest thing I can figure, is to keep the oils changed and topped up- religiously. I'm not saying to ignore the other items as the pop up, but I'd figure that is the most important thing to do.
Also listen to the guys with the wrench knowledge on here, such as John, JRL and Astro and others I'm leaving out for lack of memory...these guys know their stuff.

I even put a 5x8 enclosed trailer with mine regularly on what I consider long hauls (1K miles a week) and other than keeping any eye on the brakes, motor mounts and lubricants more often, I've had no problems.

n00bkiller944
03-14-2013, 02:03 PM
I've now got 341K on my 2005xc....I know it's got a bit of age on it and I need to do some work on it when it gets warmer (I'm putting it off until I won't freeze while doing it!), but it's still going!

Highway/interstate miles won't hurt one, but a two-mile commute to work will. It has to get a chance to get warmed up and get the fluids circulating. It's not as smooth riding as it used to be, and I need to do some updating- but it'll still get me there.

Biggest thing I can figure, is to keep the oils changed and topped up- religiously. I'm not saying to ignore the other items as the pop up, but I'd figure that is the most important thing to do.
Also listen to the guys with the wrench knowledge on here, such as John, JRL and Astro and others I'm leaving out for lack of memory...these guys know their stuff.

I even put a 5x8 enclosed trailer with mine regularly on what I consider long hauls (1K miles a week) and other than keeping any eye on the brakes, motor mounts and lubricants more often, I've had no problems.

What work needs to be done now?

TheDarkKnightt
03-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Radiator is leaking, new plugs, another engine mount, another set of brake pads all around and another tranny fluid change.

Trailers are rough on mounts, bushings and brakes.

knitterbetty
03-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Curious, did you ever have to replace the transmission?

TheDarkKnightt
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
No, still on the same tranny and angle gear- they're fine.
I didn't even have to replace the first coil until well into the 200K range.

As I said, they're mostly all highway miles.