PDA

View Full Version : 7500 mile checkup

picklehead
08-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Hi guys,

Just thought that I would add this since there was so much discussion about the dealer charge on the 7500 mile checkup. Surprise # 1 was the $8.12 per quart charge for the mobil 1 that I requested... just seemed a bit high to me (I can get a case of this stuff for $26.00 at Sam's club). This resulted in the total charge being $140.00 for the checkup.

Surprise # 2 made it a bit easier for me to swallow the oil charge. I noticed that the car was drifting slightly to the right at highway speeds. The tech test drove the car and thought that an alignment would fix the problem. When I picked up the car I discovered that the tech took the car back out after the alignment and noticed that although the car tracked well in the right lane, he noticed a bit of drift in the passing lane (to the left this time). He took the car back in and discovered that the left tie rod end was a bit loose. Even though this "loose" tie rod end was within factory spec, the dealership decided to replace the tie rod end. The tech emphasized that there should not have been this much play in a car with 7500 miles. This was a pleasant surprise as I almost did not report the drift to the right, I was going to attribute it to the "crown" in the road.

The drive home demonstrated that the car no longer drifts to the right and I know that the following observation has to be a "placebo effect", but the car seemed to track a bit "tighter" as well. The dealerships do charge a bit of money for the routine checkups, but it appears as if my dealership really gives the car a good once over.

Very Respectfully,
Jim Miller

pico de luuks
08-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks for sharing Jim,
Looks like your dealer's service department earns their money!  http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif Consider bringing in your own oil next time (my dealer is fine with that).
Do you know if the "loose tie rod end" is a common V70 (XC) problem?

http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/pico.gif

picklehead
08-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Hi Pico,

The dealer did not tell me if they have seen a lot of these as problems, in fact at first it seemed as if the alignment was a pretty common fix. I'm just glad that the tech stuck by his guns and got the part replaced. I'm also certain that this tie rod end would have failed before the 50,000 mile warranty so it still would have been replaced under warranty... they just took care of it now rather than "keeping an eye on it".

Very Respectfully,
Jim Miller

GeorgeXC70
08-15-2003, 06:57 PM
I am really glad it worked out for you.  I would have never known about that either.  I hope my experience will be just as good.

MGC
08-16-2003, 07:05 AM
Your problem with the tie rod end is interesting. I also just had the 7500 mile check up done but I was hearing a thud or thump at slow speeds when turning left.

The dealer verified the noise and found a problem with the left front stabilizer bar which was replaced.

I wonder if the same part was replaced on my car as yours? The front stabilizer bar must be a common problem for the dealer had the part in stock.

I also had the oil changed to Mobile 1 but because the dealer does not stock this brand I purchased the oil at Costco. If I remember correctly I paid around $22 for 6 quarts.

MGC

picklehead
08-16-2003, 02:28 PM
MGC,

The part number they put on the repair order was 274179-1 "Steering Rod", labelled as the LF Inner Tie Rod End.  If this vehicle is anything like the awd jeep grand cherokee that we own, I expect to replace some of these driveline components (the haldex system should help in that 95 % of the power normally goes through the front wheels, I do not think that the Jeep splits the power this way).  After all, these parts to go through some wear and tear.

Very Respectfully,
Jim Miller

MGC
08-16-2003, 09:43 PM
It looks like we had different parts replaced. The part number for the link stabilizer bar that was replaced is 274456.

Cheers

MGC