PDA

View Full Version : Went from XC70 to XC60

chik
01-21-2013, 11:48 PM
XC70 to XC60 sounds like a bit of a downgrade, like going from a BMW X5 to an X3 :p Kidding aside, and in actuality, it's a huge upgrade (in my case)...

Hi all,

Thought I'd post here as a new XC60 owner, I traded in my 2001 V70 XC a few weeks ago and bought a MY 2010 XC60 T6 AWD. It's been 3 weeks and I'm loving the XC60, quite happy with it. I really loved the cross country as well and had every intention of keeping it for much longer but a trip to the dealership for a repair coupled with a stroll around the lot ended with me coming home in a new (to me) XC60 instead of my old car.

I had 153k mi. on the V70 XC and was plodding along fixing and maintaining her as best as I could myself and with help from dealership/indy mechanic when needed. Cruising along in my wagon without the urge to spruce her up. Generally just settling into my 40's toting around the kids to sports and school activities, occasionally ogling the Volvo R-designs, RS4, Golf R, modded trucks and jeeps, etc. and reminiscing the old days when I had my own E36 M3 to tinker with. I didn't have the light, fast, sharp handling vehicle anymore and I was fine with that...

Then one day a repair trip to the dealer, a pre-owned ice white XC60 T6 awd at the right price, reasonable deal on trade-in and BAM! Everything's changed!! I've been bit by the old bug again. Grin on my face as I step on the pedal and feel that familiar push back into my seat as I accelerate (I'd forgotten the feel through the years in my somewhat sluggish wagon). I'm on the forums, on the web, buying K&N filters, installing little things (ie. DEM cover from IPD)...and today...

POLESTAR PERFORMANCE upgrade!!!! WTF? :confused: [cool2] :rolleyes: [thumbup] who am I?

What can I say, I guess I'm a car guy...how does that saying go? you can take the boy out of the country but.......

P.S. I'll post Polestar impressions soon. And please, I'd welcome any opinions, input, suggestions from all of you XC60 owners.

Ron N
01-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Congrats to you! I did the same in Sept 2011. Traded my 2007XC for a 2011.5 XC60 T6. Both are great cars. I was looking for a change. Drove a 2002 XC70 (now wife's car ~ she did not want the 2007) for 5 years, then to the 2007 for 4 years.

brissim
01-24-2013, 09:01 PM
You made the right choice. When we was looking at replacing our '05 XC70, we were not impressed with the current model XC70. In driving dynamics in particular it was a backwards step compared with the P2 XC70. Had my faith restored in Volvo when they released the XC60. Despite the weight being much the same as the XC70 the XC60 just drove, steered and handled so much better than the XC70 with - in my opinion - very little given away in ride comfort. The fact we ended up getting an X3 is another story but the XC60 was a very close second with the current model XC70 not even making it to the short list.

Tony

idlemind1999
01-28-2013, 10:03 AM
I did the same thing... '07 XC70 CPO to 2012 XC60

its been less than a month, but I'm loving it.... Polestar+ is a real plus...

fhopper
03-19-2014, 07:42 PM
The fact we ended up getting an X3 is another story but the XC60 was a very close second with the current model XC70 not even making it to the short list.

Tony
I just traded my X3 on my new XC 60 LOL. I was losing sleep over the repair costs of the BMW even though I only needed an alternator and a high pressure AC hose in 4 years of hard driving. Bimmerfest was my home forum.

tgwillard
07-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Yes I also did the switch. Had my 2006 XC70 and always loved it. However I got to thinking about the XC60 and just got a new 2016 this week. I pick it up in a couple of days and am busy studying the online owner's manual. Amazed at the technology that has changed in ten model years. Also went from the T5 to the T6 engine. Looking forward to seeing what performance changes there are with the T6.

v70+xc70
08-02-2015, 04:56 AM
Congrats.
We've got an 2003 xc70 which is either going to be joined by a second xc70 or xc60 within the next year.
Rented an XC60 in England a couple of years ago. It was very different, very much the same and has alot going for it. Totally spec'd out wrong for the US, eg diesel but there is no way you'd ever know it was a diesel. But its mpg wasn't that much better.
My only concern about current generation xc60/70 is that Volvo has done almost nothing to improve the mpg over the 2003. Things I love include adaptive cruise, front collision autobrake, blind spot.

PierreC
08-02-2015, 01:51 PM
I did a similar swap almost 3 years ago, but kept the XC70 for another two years before finally letting it go and replacing it with a V40 D3.

The 8 years difference between the XC70 P2 release and the XC60 release shows. While I really enjoyed the almost 13 years that I had owned my XC70 (an enjoyment greatly enhanced with the fitment of a Stage 1 tune from Autotech), the XC60 is just so much more refined.

Love the T6 engine - even without Polestar - but it is quite a bit thirstier than the 5 cylinder engine! Thank goodness for the 2 liter 5 cylinder diesel engine in the V40 which has become the daily runabout!

tgwillard
08-04-2015, 08:25 PM
So far I am finding I get better mileage on my XC60 T6 than I did on my T5 XC70. With normal daily local driving I got about 23-24 MPG on the XC70 during summer months. So far on the T6 I am getting around 27 mpg for the same local driving.

v70+xc70
08-05-2015, 06:14 AM
So far I am finding I get better mileage on my XC60 T6 than I did on my T5 XC70. With normal daily local driving I got about 23-24 MPG on the XC70 during summer months. So far on the T6 I am getting around 27 mpg for the same local driving.

Useful data to have. Thank you.

PierreC
08-05-2015, 12:53 PM

Ah! Doesn't the 2016 T6 have the new 4 cylinder VEA engine as opposed to the 3 litre 6 cylinder engine? From a fuel consumption perspective, the new VEA engine is streets ahead of the old one [cool2]

netpres1
08-05-2015, 10:37 PM
Has anyone gone from a P3 XC70 (2008+)?

When I bought mine I compared the XC60 and the XC70 and decided
the XC70 had more useful space.

David

tgwillard
08-06-2015, 01:45 PM
The AWD XC60 T6 uses the 3.0 liter engine, not the newer offerings (they come with the FWD XC60). EPA for the 3.0 liter 6 cylinder are 17/24 as I recall.

tgwillard
08-06-2015, 01:52 PM
The rear area of my XC70 was a bit larger than the XC60. But with the seats down I can slide a 2x4x8 piece of lumber into the XC60 just as I could with the XC70. The XC60 is about three inches shorter than my XC70. I like the fact that the XC60 has higher ground clearance than the XC70, although in the almost nine years I had the XC70 it never let me down in snowy weather.

ORshepherd
08-06-2015, 09:56 PM
I drove both before settling on the XC70 T6...I needed the cargo space....To me the XC60 felt like the small SUVs I had been driving...quick and light. It felt "familiar." The xc70 had a kind of depth and weight that I find quite luxurious. I wish the roofline was a tiny bit higher....but otherwise I am in love.

chik
09-15-2015, 03:29 PM
Well it's been over 2.5 years since my original post and I just turned the corner on 100,000 miles about a week ago. So far so good and still quite happy with the vehicle. No major issues to report other than to repair & reseal a leak from the brake booster vacuum pump which was covered under warranty at the time. I've put 50k mi. on the car during this time and a little under $4500 in maintenance costs including new tires and battery. One thing I do find puzzling is that the rear brake pads seem to wear quite a bit more quickly than the fronts?? maybe has to do with the DSTC??

tgwillard: getting 27 mpg on your T6 XC60, I'm envious. I average 17.6 mpg on 87 octane here in CA, goes up to about 22 mpg if cruising freeway only.

ORshepherd: I did miss the cargo space I had in my XC70, before I put a cargo box on the roof. I resisted the urge to buy new Thule adaptors to fit the flush roof rails on the XC60 vs the XC70 rails until this summer when we went on several road trips. I love the cargo box and the extra space it offers.

I'm getting an itch to upgrade the suspension to the Koni FSD and HR lowering springs and possibly R-design 20" wheels.

tgwillard
09-16-2015, 04:43 PM
With 2k on the XC60 now I am getting between 24.5 and 25.5 mpg with the T6. I am not using the sport mode, except to try it briefly. I can see the performance upgrade with sport mode, but of course with lower mpg. I am getting the same mpg on the T6 as I did on the T5. But I drive conservatively and that probably makes a difference. Very glad I got the XC60. I loved my XC70, but I like the XC60 even more.

PierreC
10-25-2015, 12:58 AM
One thing I do find puzzling is that the rear brake pads seem to wear quite a bit more quickly than the fronts?? maybe has to do with the DSTC??

Yes it the DSTC / ESP that causes this. According to posts in the UK Volvo forum, it is not unusual to replace rear brake pads twice as often as front pads ...

daveash
02-10-2016, 08:12 PM
I too have just traded my 2008 XC70 for a new XC60 D4 luxury. Pick it up tomorrow. I think it pays to read the manual and watch the various videos online to get you a head start on all the latest tech. changes. Looking forward to tomorrow!!

brissim
02-15-2016, 05:51 PM
I too have just traded my 2008 XC70 for a new XC60 D4 luxury. Pick it up tomorrow. I think it pays to read the manual and watch the various videos online to get you a head start on all the latest tech. changes. Looking forward to tomorrow!!

Congratulations on both the purchase and the decision. Never been a fan of the current model XC70. Hoping its eventual replacement (the V90CC) is a big improvement. Out of curiosity with your XC60 D4 - which D4 is it - the FWD 4-cylinder diesel or the AWD 5-cylinder diesel?

Tony

NJ03XC
07-22-2016, 06:29 PM
Hi there. Was at the local Volvo dealer today looking at a '16 XC60 w/ just under 13k miles on it. It is FWD. Not AWD, which has me a little concerned as I've become kinda married to living with AWD. My '03 XC70 has 338k miles on it, needs a cat, and the dash disappeared on me this week. No biggie as I have speedo and odometer (for fuel gauge) via the Nuvi. But I still love the car. Live in Northeast (NJ). Question is, will I miss the AWD if I get the FWD 60? I'm not an off roader and I no longer ski east coast, but I do have to do some snow driving.....assuming we ever see snow again. From a bells and whistles standpoint the 60 is utterly fantastic. Wife loves it too.....of course.
Alternative is a '16 V60 wagon (AWD) they have with under 10k miles at about same cost (32k). I loved the way it drove, but man is it way smaller than my XC70. Not sure I can handle that.
Do you think I'll be happy with the FWD XC60 after my XC70?
Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

carboncow
08-26-2016, 10:20 AM

Nope...don't believe it. Must be downhill both ways!

tgwillard
09-24-2016, 04:52 PM
With over 14k on the XC60, I am now averaging about 24.5 mpg in the summer. My wife's 2005 S80 FWD has been getting about 27 mpg in summer driving.

NJ03XC
10-02-2016, 11:20 PM
The FWD 60 I had been looking at disappeared and I just picked up a 2013 T6 AWD w/ about 37k miles on it, CPO. My '03 XC70, now at 342k miles will go off to some form of retirement shortly. If anyone is looking for a parts car let me know. Wheels and all body panels are in excellent shape. Tranny not so much. I will miss that car deeply. I'd keep it forever if I could.
The 60 is just loaded with things and the first three days have been pretty good. I'm a little concerned that my local indy isn't as comfy with 60's as he is with 70's but I will use him as much as possible. A few things I have noticed about the 60 vs the 70:
- front seats seem deeper, which is less comfortable on the back of the thighs than my 70 was. Still playing with positions.
- initial mileage seems to be about 20.5 Thirstier than my 70 was. But quicker.
- not the sharpest nav system I've ever seen. Programmed by a sadist. Still tweaking settings.
- bummed that TPMS won't display pressure reading, only low warning
- the xenons are giant leap over the headlamps I had in my 70.
- nice to have a working dash panel again, though I think the 70's gauges were nicer (when they worked)
- never thought I'd ever buy a red car, but the Flamenco Red is pretty sharp looking

Hoping to hold onto this as long as I did the 70, and that this forum will prove as useful for this car as it had been for the last. Really a great asset and much appreciated.
Regards to all.

v70+xc70
12-29-2016, 04:01 PM
We formally signed the paperwork today for an XC60 T6 and will pick it up tomorrow. Replacing a 2003 XC70 that did its job protecting my son from a drunk driver.

NJ03XC
01-17-2017, 10:46 AM
So now 3-1/2 months and 7k miles into my '13 XC60 T6/3.0 and my mileage is hanging in the 20.5 - 22 mpg range. Just a bit thirstier than my '03XC70 was. I do use Sport mode on occasion,, particularly on-ramps. Car is wildly faster than the 2.5 XC70 was. Only complaints so far are:
- serious lack of knick-knack storage
- even with updated nav data the nav system can't think it's way out of a parking lot. Awful routing.
- no engine temp gauge.... just wrong
Otherwise pretty good car and easily one of the sharpest looking midsize x-overs out there.

One more thing though....
I get flashed by oncoming drivers ALL the time. Dealer tells me that the lights are properly aligned and that they cannot be adjusted but this cannot be so. I completely light up the interior of any car in front of me that doesn't have a high tailgate section, and even low beams light up trees. Anybody have a diagram of the alignment adjustments for the '13 with Xenon lamps?

v70+xc70
01-17-2017, 06:48 PM
So now 3-1/2 months and 7k miles into my '13 XC60 T6/3.0 and my mileage is hanging in the 20.5 - 22 mpg range. Just a bit thirstier than my '03XC70 was. I do use Sport mode on occasion,, particularly on-ramps. Car is wildly faster than the 2.5 XC70 was. Only complaints so far are:
- serious lack of knick-knack storage
- even with updated nav data the nav system can't think it's way out of a parking lot. Awful routing.
- no engine temp gauge.... just wrong
Otherwise pretty good car and easily one of the sharpest looking midsize x-overs out there.

One more thing though....
I get flashed by oncoming drivers ALL the time. Dealer tells me that the lights are properly aligned and that they cannot be adjusted but this cannot be so. I completely light up the interior of any car in front of me that doesn't have a high tailgate section, and even low beams light up trees. Anybody have a diagram of the alignment adjustments for the '13 with Xenon lamps?

Have you tried DIY adjusting?

chik
04-16-2017, 03:45 PM
About a year and a half since my last update. The car now has ~133k miles on her. Replaced upper engine torque mount and passenger side lower engine mount at 123k miles, I was noticing rough intermittent engine vibration. Replaced spark plugs and ignition coil for Cyl. 6 about a month ago. CEL came on a couple times and P0306 (IIRC) code on OBDII. Noticeable rough idle sometimes but car never became un-driveable. Currently hearing a slight squeal from either the belts or pulleys when the car is idling. My indy mechanic didn't seem too concerned when I brought it up to him, belts look to be in good condition. I will keep an eye on this. Also dealing with persistent battery drain issue...(see my reply post on 2008+ XC70 forum).

Hope everyone is enjoying their Volvos, drive safe [thumbup]