PDA

View Full Version : sticky keys, won't turn in ignition. Only solution a new ignition assembly?

snowmystr
01-12-2013, 09:09 PM
2001 V70 XC, 152,000 miles.
So, my keys started sticking. At one point I couldn't get either of them to work at all. Almost got towed from Squaw Valley to Reno. Now I know the car would have sat there for days waiting for a new ignition assembly to match my VIN. Luckily with a pat on the hood of the car, and an personal request to Thor, yes the name of the car as well as the god of Thunder, it started. So I drove the 500 miles back to Eugene without turning the car off. Once home the key worked fine for several days. Then last night it seized up, and the key hasn't turned again. I've used compressed air, and a graphite lube to no avail. Is there any prospect of rebuilding the unit or do I just fork over the $350 plus labor to replace the whole darn thing?

Please advise...

Snowmystr

Scopeman
01-13-2013, 08:29 AM
From what I have read, replacement is the only solution. I have seen the lock assy at online sources in the $250 range, coded for your car. The replacement is not difficult, check youtube for a video. The trick are the two "headless" bolts. A slot must be cut into the head for removal, beyond that it is a bolt-up job.