PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Reservoir issues... what is your experience?

surfercalavera
01-07-2013, 06:44 PM
I have replaced my power steering reservoir twice already and the bottle keeps leaking/seeping oil out from the top even when the cap is tighten and at proper fluid level. Has anyone experience this? I am thinking that the issue maybe in the pump??? WDYT?

coflynn
01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I modified the cap of my reservoir to reduce the pressure the system operates at, see http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48106&p=238496 . I did that in April 2012, and so far there is zero signs of leaks anymore, before I was getting fluid all over the reservoir leaking out the top etc.

blue88rs
01-19-2013, 10:20 AM
My reservoir is seeping around the middle and at the hose clamps. I've got a new reservoir coming. I've also got dripping around the right front wheel side. I'm wondering if this is something I can fix.

sjonnie
01-19-2013, 10:36 AM
I have replaced my power steering reservoir twice already and the bottle keeps leaking/seeping oil out from the top even when the cap is tighten and at proper fluid level. Has anyone experience this? I am thinking that the issue maybe in the pump??? WDYT?
Mine has done that ever since I got it. I just top up the fluid level occasionally. Maybe I should check out that mod to prevent that.

surfercalavera
01-19-2013, 07:22 PM
So I replaced the reservoir bottle once again with an aftermarket brand and it leak has stopped after 5K. I also replaced the fluid and it has made a tremendous difference when turning the steering wheel. I guess a flush was overdue.

blue88rs
01-21-2013, 02:57 PM
I tightened two hoses with normal clamps, bottom of the reservoir and to the pump, and flipped the gasket in the cap. It seems to be better. Still seem to have a little drip around the driver's side wheel. Is that something a junior wrench can fix?

JRL
01-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Driver's side?
THAT should not be.
Someone needs to check the rack for a leak

blue88rs
01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks, I just checked when my wife backed out. I didn't see a leak. I'll drive it up on the ramps and look. If it's fixed, I guess I'll save my new reservoir for later.

Allen
01-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Mine did the same. Replaced the upper clamp, problem solved.