PDA

View Full Version : Just changed the air filter

1Lieutenant
09-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Went to change the air filter in my 2002XC with a Mann filter that I purchased from IPD.  My observations:

1.  The Volvo air box is poorly designed.  Once the filter is in place one needs to slide three plastic tabs into slots on the backside of the housing, then use the three clips on the front to secure the top in place.  The tabs are difficult to engage without significant effort.

2.  The Mann filter DOES NOT FIT.  It is a LITTLE bit larger (but still fits in the housing)  The rubber gasket is designed just a bit differently than the OEM filter such that it prevents the tabs from engaging in the slots.

3.  Put the old filter back in place and was able to close the housing properly with little problem. (The tabs are still fidgety)

IPD was very apologetic and will accept the return and pay the postage.

barrysharp
09-10-2003, 05:18 PM
I've always had good luck getting Volvo parts from Borton's (http://www.borton.com/parts.html#). I always used to get my cabin air filters for my S80 from them at $19.95 including S&H.

Hiro's XC
09-10-2003, 07:26 PM
The air box is a PITA. You need to be careful to not damage it when changing the filter. I would just stick with the factory filter being as it is changed only every 30K miles anyway. A few $$ over 30K isn't too much plus the hassle factor is zero.

Jason