PDA

View Full Version : 2003 XC70 Shift Lock Cable issues

frusterated
01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Reoccurring Problems 1 & 2:
1) Key turns fine, but can't get the gear selector out of Park (happens at start)
-or-
2) Able to move the gear selector, but can't get the key out since it won't go to position 0 (happens at shutdown)

My only work-around thats worked so far is to remove the left bottom console panel by my lower leg, and reach in and physically move the cable about a half inch either way to engage or disengage the cable. I don't really want to do this long-term, but so far its kept me from getting stuck at different places. The problems don't happen 100% of the time, but it started intermittently and gradually had gotten to the point where it was like 90% of the time it happens.

I've been able to research some threads here that suggest its the shift-lock cable, so I took out the center console and cleaned and lubed the cable and cleaned what was pretty dirty down there. It worked better for a couple days, but the problem came back. Yesterday I decided to take it to a Volvo repair shop near me and it worked fine that evening, but 1-day and $220 later the problem is back.

It's an 2003 XC70, so no shift-lock bypass shift visible. I can't hear a clicking noise when I hold the brake pedal, but I do hear a mechanical 'whirring' sound.

I was hoping someone had some experience with this. What should I be looking at? Is it more likely a problem with the cable itself, or is it some of the connections with the shifter assembly? Since the moving the cable seems to work, could it be some solenoid that isn't working quite right when I depress the brake pedal? Is there another thread that covers this? (couldn't really find the answer to when cleaning the cable doesn't work)

Would appreciate any help offered, really don't have the funds to keep going back to the service shop if the problem isn't solved.

dcninja123
01-05-2013, 02:12 AM
I have had this issue on other automatic cars before. It sounds like a part called a "neutral switch" google it. It's a "safety feature" so kids can't start it if left in the car by their parents or something dumb like that.

Tahoe_XC
01-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Don't feel alone, I was at the dealer today buying a new cable and brake switch for the exact same problem on an '04. Have already replaced the gear shift lever. That did not fix.

The parts desk said he sees quite a few cables. I asked about the solenoid, which from what i understand integrates the PNP switch function, he said this is rarely replaced and showed me the screen of the last time it was sold. His bet was on the cable.

I chose to buy the brake switch as well as a relatively cheap insurance policy to try and solve the problem for good. I have noticed that I can pump the brakes and then turn the key forward to pos. II and then back to pos. 0 to get the key to come out. Probably no relationship to the brake switch and most likely indicates a the interface with the cable at the ignition is the problem. But for $35 figure it might as well be replaced also.

I hope to get to this tomorrow, but am also tending to a family suffering from a bad cold w/ ear infections.... will keep you posted on what I learn.

One other point of interested on my problem. This is a new-2-me car that was 100% maintained by a dealer (not the dealer I get my parts from). I bought the car with 53K mi on it. The previous owner gave me all of his records that show they had the same problem. Historically, the dealer fix was to replace the ignition a ~$550 expense. Then a year or so later owner took the car in with the same problem. They replaced the ignition again, this time under warranty. Then right before I bought it the records indicate they had taken it back in stating that the car was intermittently exhibiting the same problem, but dealer could not confirm. Now after driving for a couple of months I can say the problem is alive and well. The reason I share this is in case someone suggests it is the ignition I would suggest to you it is not. My dealers parts desk agreed that this was strange.

gibbons
01-06-2013, 09:13 PM
My ignition switch broke 1.5 miles from home. I had to steal my car to drive it home. It was in fact the ignition switch, something that a lot of long-timers remember. I had a thread about it a few years ago. So don't assume it can't be that.

frusterated
01-12-2013, 03:40 PM
I had the shop replace the shift lock cable, they credited me with the 2hrs of labor it took to open and inspect the center console from my previous visit so it wasn't too bad. Talking to the shop tech, he had a similar story. he said they went to the Volvo dealer and asked which part that could be the problem they tend to stock a lot of, and it happened to be that cable.

Unfortunately, it hasn't solved the problem, but it is only happening 1 out of every 20 times I drive now. I don't know what else to do, I'm really just considering living with it. If the ignition switch does lock out on me, I guess I'll use AAA and figure it out from there.

Tahoe_XC
01-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Just replaced my cable. Problem seems to be solved.

My advice to others replacing the cable, the hardest part is removing the center console. I basically followed Vadim/alldatadiy directions. My only 2 cents is I fed the cable up from the shift module versus down from ignition. Used electrical tape to link the new cable to the old, it was straight forward fix

chitown
02-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Hello to all, I'm a new Volvo owner and am having this issue. I suspected the solenoid was sticking and/or the shift lock cable was binding due to cold weather (I'm in Chicago and it has been 20-40 degrees lately) but could not pinpoint either. For the last couple of times I have violently popped the lever out of park but today was sunny so I separated the wood trim from the lever to give me a better view of the inside and gave the shift lock cable (red with threaded rod that connects to yellow cylindrical piece) a nudge. I am very happy to report that the lever operated normally after this. My guess is that the cable binds over time and there is a spring on the shifter end that can not overcome the resistance when it is cold, but once the car warms up inside, the cable loosens up or the spring finally pushes the cable in position. I'm going to order up a cable and replace myself and will report back if this solves the issue. Tahoe_XC - I'd be grateful if you could share the procedure to replace this cable with me. You reference Vadim - is this the official service manual for Volvos? If so, can I purchase from Volvo or an authorized third party?

martinb
05-10-2015, 08:19 PM
hi,I realise that it has been a while since this thread was posted but did you solve your issue with the shift lock cable? I have the same issue on a 2006 XC70,not coming out of park.
thanks
Martin
Australia

_luke
05-28-2015, 10:47 AM
I had the same problem with my 02 V70XC. My solution was just to clean and lubricate the shift lock cable on 2-3 occasions, as the first time didn't fix it 100%. I just left the center console apart until I was confident it had stopped.

Just a note, I had recently spilled some coffee on the console, and I could see that it had dripped down onto the shift cable. I suspect this was the original cause in my case.

Cheers,
Luke