PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Guard glass break sensors

canjbi
12-28-2012, 11:20 PM
I would really appreciate some help if anyone knows the answer.

I keep getting alarm codes.
1. Switch ID missing
2. Glass Break resistance too low.

I am assuming the missing switch code will go away once I get my Volvo Guard switch and install it into the CCM.

I don't have the glass break loops in my rear glass panels, so the connectors are just tucked up inside the roof liner.
I assume since they aren't connected to anything the car is getting upset with me.

Here is the big question:

Does the car look for infinite resistance on these connectors (normally closed circuit) or a specific resistance value?
Can I simply bridge the connectors for each side together or do I need a specific value resistor first?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this.

shammyh
12-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Why not use Vida/Dice and just remove the software for the glass break system?

You'll need a valid subscription though. Or visit someone who does...

canjbi
12-29-2012, 10:56 AM
When I did have a valid subscription I installed the software for the motion and tilt sensors.
There was no option available for my car to remove or add the glass break sensors.
That is unless I didn't see it, but i went through every available software package to make sure I could take advantage of the license to get anything i wanted/needed.

My vehicle is a 2002 XC70 that did not come pre-wired for motion sensor (or glass breaks).
So I put in a roof liner from a 2003 that had the wiring, installed the motion/tilt sensors, installed the software and it all works.
Except now for the fault on the glass breaks.

I don't care about the glass break sensors. I just want the code to go away. So the easiest thing is to bridge the sensor connectors.
I just need to know if I can bridge them together or if I need a specific value resistor to simulate the actual sensor wire.

canjbi
08-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Problem Solved.

kain
08-21-2013, 09:16 AM
What was the solution out of curiosity?

canjbi
08-21-2013, 09:46 AM
There was an extra ground wire hiding up in the roof liner bundle with the left side glass break connectors, but neatly tucked away.
I only found it because I shoved my hand right up there to pull out the glass break wires and this came out with them.
It didn't show on diagrams (At least not that I could see).
I took a gamble and connected it to ground and magic. All problems went away. No more error codes.

ifnt420
08-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi Canjbi

A few question for you on the retrofit.
- Do you have Sunroof in your XC?
- Is belows link the same installation procedure as you took for the movement sensor installation?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDIQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Faccessories.volvocars.com%2FAcces soriesWeb%2FAccessories.mvc%2FGeneratePdf%3Fuid%3D VCC-129046-1%26culturecode%3Den-GB%26model%3DV70%2520(00-08)%25202004%26modelyear%3DV70%25202004&ei=3YQVUvijGIuikgXfkIHwAQ&usg=AFQjCNHpubwq5kEq-mpEZYD-mYqdbR8Xzw
- Where is the sensor for the tilt/level located?
- Lastly did you have any problem programming the old sensors?

Thanks for your help!

canjbi
08-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Yes. I believe ALL XC70 have a sunroof, I believe it was standard equipment on the XC70 series.

The installation procedure you provided is from Volvo for model that are prewired for Volvo Guard.
My car was not. I had to get a roof liner from a 2003 and put it in my vehicle.
Once I installed the roof liner with the correct harness, then the procedure is the same.

The tilt sensor is in the back and clips onto the bracket that holds the REM.

Once all the sensors were installed, a licensed copy of VIDA was used to download the software to add movement and tilt sensors. No problem.
I don't know which of the two software packages does it but one of them also adds the software for the glass break detector.

Volvo calls them "movement" and "level sensor".

There are other parts you need to upgrade to the full volvo guard system.

JRL
08-22-2013, 11:04 AM
"ALL" do not.
There are several base XCs out there with no Moonroof, no Leather and no Climate package (heated seats).

ifnt420
08-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks canjibi, I'm most interested in the Level Sensor.
I already have the Switch to turn on and off, the sensor itself, so just need to install and a software download.

Do you have any photos or instructions on the Level Sensor installation? Was it plug and play?
As the only document I can find is the previous link for the Movement sensor.

Thanks again!

canjbi
08-23-2013, 03:18 PM
The documentation is available on Volvo's website.

Try this:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/AccessoriesWeb/Accessories.mvc/en-US/CA/XC70(01-07)/2002/2.4T%20AWD/Automatic/L.H.D/ShowDocument/ShowIiDocument/VCC-128654-1/V70_XC_(01-)_/_XC70_(-07)_2002