PDA

View Full Version : Door side moulding strip gaps

Ron3KL
09-17-2002, 02:54 AM
On my car the gap between the body and the side moulding strips on the front doors is quite pronounced. Am I just being picky or are all the cars like this?

I'm putting the car in for its first service/warranty check tomorrow so any comparisons and replies would be great.

Here's a photo of the left hand front door moulding with a Volvo Road Service card in the gap:

wiz
09-17-2002, 05:47 AM
I have a nautic and the molding is completely flush - nothing like this. But the VOR may be different, although I don't see why it should be.

At least you have the right molding on the car, mine was in the dealer last week getting some genuine XC door cladding on one side of the car - the factory had installed V70 cladding and no-one noticed! http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Ron3KL
09-17-2002, 05:53 AM
Thanks Wiz.
Not having looked at the V70 moulding up close, what's the difference?

mastiha
09-17-2002, 05:58 AM
I'll have a look and mine in the morning Ron and I'll let you know.

wiz
09-17-2002, 06:32 AM
Ron3KL,
It's less than 1/2 the height, and fits into the indent at the bottom of the door. The XC cladding extends up the door. Both are snapped into a rail in indented part of the door, the XC cladding has double sided adhesive near the top.

Were talking here about the cladding which is at the bottom of the doors. Your problem is with the molding that's in the middle of the door. Yours definitely doesn't look right to me... http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Ron3KL
09-17-2002, 04:30 PM
Sorry Wiz, in my haste I didn't notice that you said cladding.

Anyway the car is now with the dealer. And while I was there I walked around the lot and had a look. Here's what I found out.

There was a gap on both the XCs and the regular V70 vehicles. The gap was far bigger on the XCs.

The moulding on the XCs I saw was smooth painted ("metallised") plastic, while on the V70 it was a slightly different extrusion either blue/black or brown textured ABS plastic that fitted slightly closer to the bodywork.

All I can say is - when cleaning your car take care to hose out any dirt build up in that gap...

mastiha
09-18-2002, 06:59 AM
Hi Ron,

Checked it out this morning and I don't have the gap. I'm sure your dealer will sort it out.

Regards

mastiha

lsokol
09-18-2002, 09:26 AM
Mine does not have a gap. I think it might be the Ocean Race Series.?