PDA

View Full Version : These cars are tough in accidents!

Hiro's XC
09-06-2002, 02:14 PM
Well, the car is a week and a half old.....Wasn't all her fault. (24 years W/out a ticket or accident) She was driving to work and turned down a smaller connecting road that links to major routes when a guy in a Montero Sport slams on the brakes and comes to a halt. Well, she got him in the left rear. Details: He was the "quality inspection agent" for the mitsu dealer and was seeing if he could reproduce a noise under braking. Well, he got a noise allright. He didn't check to see that there was traffic BEHIND him before he performed the impromptu brake check. She didn't have a chance. Who would expect in a 40 mph zone to have someone stop dead. AND he said he was making a turn into the dealer. Hmmm, it was 75 ft FURTHER up the rd. She mangled the bumper on the montero, the parking light in the bumper, and the trim ring. This thing being a truck does not have the car bumpers with absorbing material and shocks. So it bent the metal under-framing. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif . Stupid Useless Vehicles.
So her car got the headlight wiper blade knocked off and some scuff marks on the headlight and bumper. Not bad! If it was paintd there would have been a lot more damage. Well she also got the ticket. She technically was unable to stop to avoid a collision but with a clean record it will be thrown out here in IL. My favorite part is the service manager who came running out and exclaimed that he saw the whole thing! The cop said, " You saw it? From the office on the other side of a parking lot, 400 yards away through a brick wall?" Too funny!

Jason

XC TOM
09-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Imagine what that service manager tells customers about their cars. Scares me

Hiro's XC
09-07-2002, 05:05 AM
That's why I stay away from most dealers.....And I can say this as I was in the car biz. He was an !!@$@%$^^. Typical car guy. BLAME, SCREAM, BELITTLE, RANT, SCREAM. Well til the cops showed up and told him to stuff it. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

phdezra
09-09-2002, 12:49 PM
Great story!

On the topic of accidents... About 1 year ago my wife was driving our S40 and came to an intersection.  She wanted to make a left turn, so she eased into the middle of intersection, switched on the blinker and waited.  Some idiot driver going 45 MPH on a 30 MPH road from the other direction (who was going straight) misjudged ouer S40 and hit it (corner bumper by driver side) and kareemed off into a few parked cars.

Fast forward 30 minutes.  Cops arrive and look at the other drivers car and then at our car.  The other car was nearly totalled, whereas out S40 had a tiny (and I do mean *tiny*) nick on the bumper. So, the cop comes over and says "Gee, I know this is a Volvo, but... wow."

Long live Volvo!

MagicDragon
09-09-2002, 02:47 PM
About a month ago an a-hole rear ended my new XC.  Well, there wasnt' much damage except for a small mark on the bumber measuring about an inch.  But since the bumper retracted there was a big gap between the body and the bumper cover.  I told the guy this is my brand new vehicle so I'm gonna fix it using his insurance.  Then this guy said "well, it's designed that way.  I see absolutely no problem with your bumper.  I know this 'cuz I'm in the car business" blah blah.  Well, the bumper snapped back to its place but I almost punched him in the face.  Luckily for him, it was at the busy intersection.  If we were alone, his jaw would have relocated.

lsokol
09-09-2002, 04:28 PM
I was also in a crash with my year old XC. It was amasing. I posted the story and pics if you want you can check it out. Good luck getting everything fixed.

wiz
09-09-2002, 07:48 PM
I have a similar story to phdezra's. A few years ago I was driving my 240 sedan on the highway, stopped at a congested ramp to exit, and was hit pretty hard in the rear-end by a VW Golf or something.

I got out, looked at the front of the Golf, and it looked like a Volvo bumper in reverse, all stove in with the bumper shape, with all kinds of stuff hanging down and liquid seeping out everywhere. It looked terrible.

I walked round the back of my own car, and I swear to God, I couldn't see anything wrong with it. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Hiro's XC
09-10-2002, 06:50 AM
Well, it gets better. I spoke to the lady who owns the car and she got a totally different story from the dealer. They said they weren't  even DRIVING the car! Then, instead of the body shop they always use, he was going to send it to his (service manager) brothers shop! What an a******! Well, Being an agent for an insurance company I can find out who the owners of the shops are. Needless to say she IS NOT DEALING WITH THEM. It will be far cheaper for me that way and she can go to a REAL bodyshop. I called the owner of the dealer then.....should be interesting what happens now!

Jason