PDA

View Full Version : 02 XC70 Front Shocks

Troybarber
12-21-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm planning on changing out my front shocks soon and wanted to get some opinions on brands other that sachs that other members have used on the XC70. I saw that auto zone had gabriels for $89 each, but wasn't sure if there were any fitment issues. I'm only planning on keeping the car another 8 months, so I would like to replace them with the most cost effective strut on the market without sacrificing quality.

Also, FCP Groton and IDP sell a socket for $20 to replace the struts. Is this tool necessary?

Xheart
12-21-2012, 04:35 PM
This is serious stuff. Stick with OE/OEM. Look for the write up under resources.

howardc64
12-21-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm planning on changing out my front shocks soon and wanted to get some opinions on brands other that sachs that other members have used on the XC70. I saw that auto zone had gabriels for $89 each, but wasn't sure if there were any fitment issues. I'm only planning on keeping the car another 8 months, so I would like to replace them with the most cost effective strut on the market without sacrificing quality.

Also, FCP Groton and IDP sell a socket for $20 to replace the struts. Is this tool necessary?

The XCs didn't have any aftermarket brands for struts other than Sachs (OEM) last I checked. Non XCs has several choices (shorter struts).

The socket is unnecessary. The nut has a plus sign pattern which can be easily taken off and tightened with a pipe wrench.