PDA

View Full Version : Seat belt probem 2005 XC70

Gary57
12-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time, so bear with me when I am trying to explain stuff in plain (non automobile) English :)...

While unloading I wanted to bring my rear seat "backs" into upright position, however, my passenger side rear seat belt will not "unlock" and now I cant bring my rear seat back up in upright position....the seatbelt is not completely retracted but the seat will not go up after about 1/3rd of the distance and "locks" and I cant seem to unlock the belt so the back of the seat will go upright all the way.....

The former owner mentioned that the little rubber "stop" in the middle of the seat belt strap has gone "missing" and thats the reason why the seat belt doesnt want to "unlock" to allow the back of the rear seat to go all the way up...(she went to her volvo dealer and they fixed it for free...I just moved to another province and no volvo dealer around for another 160 miles..)

Does anyone recognize this problem and has a sensible recommendation for solving this issue?

Thanks
Gary

BillAileo
12-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Check out this thread: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?19083-Rear-seat-back-issue&highlight=seat+button

And from a 2009 posting: The rear seat belt on my '03 XC70 also got stuck in the retracted position and it turned out to be due to the loss of a small plastic button on the belt that prevents the belt from being retracted too far. I'm pretty sure that the little plastic button was lost through the process of using an infant car seat. Parents are tought to really snugg up the seat belts after the seat is in place & that button, if caught on the edge of the car seat, is an easy casualty. To recover from this situation it is necessary to pull out the side cushioning on the affected rear seat (it actually comes out fairly easy), and then disconnect the bolt tha attaches the belt to the floor. This frees up the belt and allows it to be pulled out. Of course, if you don't then promptly replace the button, you can end up with it stuck in the retracted position again. Should this be your problem, pay attention to detail when you order a new button, there are two plastic buttons on these belts and they are of different sizes.

JRL
12-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Once you get it unstuck you NEED to put one of those little plastic stops back in.
Order on line, (only about 2 bucks) and install it yourself.

(You just press it on and heat the end with a lighter to melt the tab)

Gary57
12-22-2012, 03:00 PM
Hi JRL & BillAileo,
Thanks for the reply!!
Im going to try to do this myself with thehelpof your thread
Thanks again!
Gary

quickbrownfox
01-25-2014, 01:55 PM
I have experienced this recently and now frequently after losing the plastic button. It's a quick fix to loosen the seatbelt lower anchor bolt but annoying. Does anyone have a source for the replacement part…otherwise, the dealer?

Astro14
01-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Bought mine from the dealer...several dollars, but worth it to avoid the seat getting stuck again...

quickbrownfox
01-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Bought mine from the dealer...several dollars, but worth it to avoid the seat getting stuck again...

thanks, Astro, I'll give it a shot.