PDA

View Full Version : Am I Having Transmission Issues?

SYS
12-21-2012, 08:56 AM
My Volvo is 2005 XC70. About two months ago when I visited a local auto shop for a simple oil change (from regular to synthetic for the first time), they came back to the waiting room and displayed for me how dirty the transmission oil was and they advised that I do the transmission flush, as well. Although it was rather expensive, I felt it's a good maintenance thing to do so I did it.

Lately, though, some weird things started happening. It only happens in the morning and for only about 10 minutes after driving out of the garage. Driving on Auto mode, the car's moving but very slowly and with unpleasant engine noise. I have a not so steep hill near my house, and climbing that simple hill makes the car crawl almost to the stopping point. After this morning ritual, the car runs fine the rest of the day.

What's happening? Is the transmission oil freezing up over night in my garage in freezing winter temperature? Is the new transmission oil susceptible to freezing unlike the original oil? Is the only solution I have to this issue is to simply run the engine long enough in the garage in the morning until the temperature gauge's in the middle? Any insights from you folks would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

JRL
12-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Doesn't sound like a tranny issue, but of course anything is possible
Bring it back, have them check for any STORED CODES.
This sounds weird

BillAileo
12-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Do you know what transmission fluid the local auto shop used? If you've been a regular forum participant you probably know that it is quite important it meet the JWS-3309 standard.

SYS
12-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Do you know what transmission fluid the local auto shop used? If you've been a regular forum participant you probably know that it is quite important it meet the JWS-3309 standard.

The transmission fluid they used is "BG3124 Universal Synthetic ATF." I don't know whether this meets the JWS-3309 standard or not. How do I find out, or do you already know?

JRL
12-21-2012, 04:04 PM
BG says it does, it really does not

SYS
12-21-2012, 04:10 PM
BG says it does, it really does not

Do you mind elaborating on this? What do you mean by "it really does not"?

JRL
12-21-2012, 05:07 PM
It's a synthetic 3309 is mineral based

KB3MMX
12-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Synthetic or conventional isn't the spec, it's the additives and performance of the fluid required to meet that spec. Whether the usual 3309 is conventional oil based is really irrelevant. Same goes for Gm, Ford,Volkswagen, Allison transmission fluid specs, etc, etc.

Just because Toyota 3309 spec fluid is produced by the bulk oem oil supplier from conventional oil doesn't mean there can't be a higher performing lubricant meeting that mimimum spec.

KB3MMX
12-24-2012, 12:53 AM
SYS, Do all your gears work as they did or are you missing 3rd gear now?