PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump recall failure

PatriotBMW
12-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I bought my XC as part of the overseas sales program while stationed in Germany. We then spent 7 years in Texas (San Antonio and El Paso), now we're in Kansas. The Volvo has always been dealer serviced. Anyway, I posted a strange smell a few weeks ago which I thought was gear oil but all fluids check out okay. Then it smelled like gas, then got A LOT worse. The odor is so bad you can't drive it with the windows closed, or park it in the garage. Then I found this:

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/news/story/2009/12/fuel-pump-issue-prompts-volvo-recall.aspx?interstitial=1&prestitial=1

I have never received the recall notice so I called Volvo North America to get more info. Here is the kicker - they say the vehicle was never issued the recall because it was never "imported" in their system since I bought it overseas (yet its been to a dozen dealerships in the US). Then the real nut punch, "your VIN isn't affected by the fuel pump recall despite it being in Texas for 7 years." WHAT?! "The recall is VIN based"...."your car isn't affected."

I can't see straight because I'm furious at this point. If the recall is based off where the car is (Texas being one of those states), what difference does the VIN make? I was not aware of vehicles prohibited from crossing state lines at VIN check stations? How stupid!!

So I called NHTSA, who again said that the recalls are VIN based and not location based. NHTSA lady then read the recall to me, realizing it was location based. Then told me all recalls are VIN based and that although I smell fuel I shouldn't be concerned. Ugh....

Does anyone have any advice on how to get to someone at Volvo N/A who has a brain? I don't want to foot an $800 bill because of the death of common sense.

If it catches fire before the dealer appointment on Thurs I have one hell of a case on my hands I guess.

VR
Rob

coflynn
12-20-2012, 03:43 PM
I'd just talk to your dealer, I'm sure they know about the recall notice, but can ask them explicitly. They'd probably already know who to talk to at Volvo, and have a lot more leverage with them for a special case I imagine...

Xheart
12-21-2012, 10:29 AM
The recall is clearly stated. Volvo would take care of it.

NJ03XC
12-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Contact Volvo of NA by phone and send them a note (email) and include your VIN, all pertinent details including contact info for the dealer you are taking the car too, and express your concern for your safety. Ask them to coordinate with your dealer after they determine the problem, which will likely be fuel pump related. VoA is your ally in this. Possibly more so than your dealer, and they (VoA) have the ability to handle this on a case by case basis. Your concern for your safety is the key element. Be firm but don't slam anyone.

Gatewood
12-27-2012, 05:34 PM
My wife's 2002 V70 XC was not covered earlier this year even though we're in one of the listed states because the recall warranty only lasts 10 years from the date of service. Her 2002 supposedly was sold/entered service in November 2001, and the dealership told us the coverage on the fuel pump for her car expired in November 2011. I ended up doing it myself. The only hard part of it is removing the lock rings that hold the fuel pump in place. If you decide to do it yourself, remember to disconnect your battery before you remove the back seats, or you'll get the srs service light.

NJ03XC
12-28-2012, 05:21 AM
My dealer also refused to cover my '03's fuel pump, based on mileage. (240k) But I understand their position. If they say they'll take care of it and VoA doesn't then they've just eaten an expensive job. After their refusal I got involved with VoA, and made it clear this was a safety issue. I couldn't park my car in my garage. The fumes were so bad they'd make their way into the house. Once I got VoA involved and they got their local rep in touch with my dealer, making it clear that it would be a case by case situation, I took the car into the dealer and it was all dealt with. This is a far easier thing for VoA to absorb than your dealer. Get them involved.