BryanisHere
12-09-2012, 06:43 PM
RE: 2002 Volvo XC70 won't go into reverse after VB replacement

2002 Volvo XC70
Mfgd 10/01 Gothenburg Sweden
Engine 2.4L L5 FI 20V AWD (2.435 L5T)
Trans Aisin-Warner (Japan) AW55-50SN 8636 765
Trans Ser 01GV705385

I had clunking and 2nd gear to 3rd (?) flaring when shifting.

So after replacing B4 servo cover I replaced the Valve body with a reman and flushed and properly filled it.

I haven't done adapt yet but plan to.

Unfortunately when I shift to R, I get no reverse action except if you rev it in R, it will get slight backward roll when on level only.

Can one of you Volvo Maven's offer any tip or recommendation on next step for me?

Crestfallen....in Napa.

JRL
12-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Check your linkage

Astro14
12-10-2012, 07:18 AM
I am with Jim on this...Mine (both cars, done this twice) worked fine after the VB swap. Shifts were smoother after the adapt/drive cycle. So, my best guess is that the little sliding lever on the Valve body didn't engage in the shift lever. If you look at the Valve body notes, on page 18 there is a picture of the case, with a blue arrow showing the shift lever...on top of the valve body is a rod that needs to be engaged in the hole in that lever...it's the Park/reverse/neutral/drive mechanism for the transmission...that's the internal linkage...and the only thing that you took apart when the Valve Body was replaced...

It's also possible that the PnP switch (on top of the transmission) failed coincidentally...but I think I would look at the linkage first...which requires popping the cover off again (PITA, sorry).

BryanisHere
12-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Problem solved: I pulled the Valvebody again, put the washer/seals behind it again and replaced VB and cover.... This time the top plastic washer/seal one didn't fall like the first time. REVERSE WORKS now! My VB builder was right. Unfortunately although I checked inside the exposed transmission cavity, even with a spy camera, I never found the 1st lost seal...so it's probably floating around in my tranny to haunt me later.

BryanisHere
12-13-2012, 01:10 PM
I did use Vaseline both times.