PDA

View Full Version : Front Differential Oil Leak

Setterhauler
12-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Hello. My 02 XC70 with 77k was in for oil service and my mechanic (specializes in European, not specifically Volvo) noted 'Front differential oil leak at right side output shaft seal' I have an appt w/the dealer in Denver on Wednesday to look at it, but I'm not familiar with what this could entail, or frankly, what it is...any suggestions or clarity if I should be worried would be great!

sjonnie
12-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Mine has leaked there for the last 50K miles. I replaced the outer seal to no avail so I guess it'll mean removing the lock ring and replacing the inner seal which requires a special Volvo tool to remove the lock ring, so to date I've done nothing.

Astro14
12-03-2012, 12:33 PM
If by front differential, you mean the angle gear - then leaks are common. They are commonly overfilled as well, leading to leaks.

The solution is to have the TSB performed and the seals replaced, but that's going to get expensive, like several hundred $$...I just check mine each oil change, while the area is a bit wet, I have yet to run low on differential oil...

Setterhauler
12-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Thank you both for the replies. It doesn't sound like its a disaster, so I'll see what the dealer says. I bought an extended warranty on the car and it may cover it. Question...can I check the diff fluid from the engine bay to keep a watch on it?

sjonnie
12-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Question...can I check the diff fluid from the engine bay to keep a watch on it?
No, you have to get under the car, remove the filler plug and stick something down inside. The level should be not less than 1" below the fill hole.

Setterhauler
12-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Rats! I was hoping it would be easier to check so I could check it with the oil. I best get it taken care of so his AWD doesn't conk out. Thanks for all of your advice!

Setterhauler
12-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Great news...extended warranty is covering the reseal and a new cracked radiator reservoir!

Astro14
12-05-2012, 01:21 PM
That IS good news!

jkochis
12-26-2012, 06:02 AM
If by front differential, you mean the angle gear - then leaks are common. They are commonly overfilled as well, leading to leaks.

The solution is to have the TSB performed and the seals replaced, but that's going to get expensive, like several hundred $$...I just check mine each oil change, while the area is a bit wet, I have yet to run low on differential oil...

Same here... Angle Gear has been wet for last 5yrs... have my mechaic check each oil change and he only added fluid one time when we first noticed it. I am leaving it until it starts to become a leak.

KB3MMX
12-26-2012, 01:08 PM

Agreed.

I do the same thing, it's really a minor issue as it doesn't "leak" enough to warrant any repair.
The fluid loss is more of a seep that just causes the angle gear housing to be a little oily but not a dripping leak.