PDA

View Full Version : SRS-Airbag from CCM

pdakid
12-03-2012, 10:40 AM
I tripped the SRS because I forgot to disconnect the battery when removing the CCM... Tried the service required clearing, my scan tool, draining the juice, nothing.

Looked around as much as I could, couldn't find any home-grown methods-

Is it true that you can't do anything about it without the VIDA?

billr99
12-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Is it true that you can't do anything about it without the VIDA?

Pretty much although there apparently are some pro-level OBD scanners that will do it. But those are the ones that shops have that cost thousands so nothing anyone would pick up at the local NAPA. Around here the local foreign car shop has one that will do it on Volvos but, as an example, he charged as much as the dealer. Only advantage was he wasn't 2 hours up the road. It was the incentive for me to get my own VIDA/DiCE setup.

Cheers,

Bill

pdakid
12-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Is it the VIDA or the DICE that does the heavy lifting for clearing the codes?

If it's VIDA, then in theory I should be able to just pickup a $15 OBD2 to USB cable and download VIDA for free... Then I don't have to wait for a package from China.

billr99
12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Is it the VIDA or the DICE that does the heavy lifting for clearing the codes?

If it's VIDA, then in theory I should be able to just pickup a $15 OBD2 to USB cable and download VIDA for free... Then I don't have to wait for a package from China.

Ah, if it was so easy. The VIDA software is the front-end and GUI of the system. It's also a parts database that is hyper-linked into the fault diagnosis and repair texts. DiCE is the hardware communications interface (can't recall the exact ISO spec) between the car and VIDA residing on a laptop. So you need both to do the job. Unfortunately a simple OBD2-to-USB cable won't do a thing.

Cheers,

Bill

pdakid
12-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks Bill, I actually was able to get a copy of VIDA already, so I guess I need the DICE now... too bad the OBD@ to USB won't work that would be killer.

I found a local guy that has a MaxiDAS DS708... looks like it should do the trick. I'll let you all know if it works out or if I end up buying a DICE unit.

billr99
12-04-2012, 06:42 AM
Thanks Bill, I actually was able to get a copy of VIDA already, so I guess I need the DICE now... too bad the OBD@ to USB won't work that would be killer.

I found a local guy that has a MaxiDAS DS708... looks like it should do the trick. I'll let you all know if it works out or if I end up buying a DICE unit.

Be great to know if the Maxi works. Perhaps then we could keep a thread or something in the Resources section on devices able to do at least the basic functionality of clearing an SRS light without the need for VIDA/DiCE.

Thanks,

Bill