PDA

View Full Version : DRL's, Fog Lamps, Position lamps, and parking lamps

tkuper
12-03-2012, 09:46 AM
It's interesting to know the light configurations can be changed with software, but my dealer quoted me approx. 200 dollars for the download. I would love to have the fog lights on with the brights, but I would also like to have the DRL's on with the low and high beam. I have adjusted the headlamps manually, but do I understand correctly that they will auto-adjust to the pre-set leve?

My other problem is parking/position lamps. My position lamps are working in the rear and front, but the message, "Lamp Failure, Check Position Light" continues to be on. I have read the rear dome light might show the same condition, but it is also working. All fuses are ok, but the position lights which light up are in the same bulb as the rear fog lamp, which only lights up on the left side. (per instruction manual) How does the CAN system detect the bulb failure? Does it check the impedance? And from which wire? The fixture for the right hand position light has three contacts-- one ground and two positives(one for each filament). I assume the second filament on the right side is for naught.

There are also lamps labeled "Parking Lights" which are in the low position on the upper rear light assembly. They do not light up at all, no matter what light configuration is on.

All the other lights on the left and right are operational.

Any help would be appreciated.

kupgas

Aviator
12-04-2012, 03:52 PM
the position lights which light up are in the same bulb as the rear fog lamp

Sounds like your upper position lamps are out in the rear. There would be another bulb above that position/rear fog lamp bulb; same for the right side only there is no rear fog light functionality there.....just a single filament in use.

Dave.

pdakid
12-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Check your license plate lamps in the back- I had the bulb position failure message, replaced every single bulb in the rear and still had it. I was stumped then I noticed it was one of the license plate bulbs, what do you know that fixed it.

I don't understand electrical magic, but I know from experience that if you buy LED replacements over the standard bulb your car will still think they are out. However, you can buy the expensive LED replacements with I guess some extra resistors or something that will work just fine.

Aviator
12-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Check your license plate lamps in the back- I had the bulb position failure message, replaced every single bulb in the rear and still had it. I was stumped then I noticed it was one of the license plate bulbs, what do you know that fixed it.

No, you must have smoked something funny there. License plate lights aren't position lights, and they don't put up any notification in the DIM that they are out.

Dave.

tkuper
12-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Sounds like your upper position lamps are out in the rear. There would be another bulb above that position/rear fog lamp bulb; same for the right side only there is no rear fog light functionality there.....just a single filament in use.

Dave.

The dual filament bulbs you speak of are working. There is smaller bulbs which are described as a parking lights which do not light up no matter what position the light switch is in. I've replaced them without change.

jack9091
12-10-2012, 11:55 PM
very funny ..... anyways i like this post .....