PDA

View Full Version : things you will change

JAVI BCN
04-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Hi xcmaniacs,

What would you change on your XC?

1. Headlights, light are very poor,i changed bulbs and get little better but the best solution, biXenon, aren´t avaible as an extra after purchase. My previous V40 had double headlights and quantity & quality of light was excellent.

trysha
04-02-2002, 05:33 PM
biXenon - of course, it's better (and available in later 2002)

key openings on each of the doors

rain sensing windshield wipers

automatic door locking

i'd like a manual transmission

a better stereo (i upgraded mine to a kenwood radio with MP3 playback/CD changer and stuff, i should post pictures sometime)

Basically i want most of the features of the late model 2002.

Really, i had been thinking that I should probably trade mine for a 2003 model when it comes out.  But extending the car loan out another year seems dumb   I got this car because I thought I would have it a long time.
that's the big stuff for me.

trysha
04-02-2002, 05:38 PM
oh yeah!   and opening for the tailgate from the inside.

what if you have the 3rd seat and put kids back there,
THen get into an accident  The kids can't get out without help, or crawling over the seat!   Great safety feature there volvo!     When i was little my dad's station wagon had this.  I used it to get out all the time.

I mean, i understand them not wanting kids to open it and fall out into the road - but that problem can be solved by locking the doors.

coastal
04-02-2002, 06:51 PM
When you get the third seat, Volvo does install an interior door handle for the rear don't they? I'm pretty sure that is the case.

As far as my changes, if i were to really be splitting hairs I'd want:

1. Bi-Xenon Headlamps.
2. Pressing and holding the forward or reverse on the steering wheel would fast forward/reverse within the same track, not just skip the track.
3. A more easily resettable warning light.
4. Power seats on passenger side to be operable without key in the ingnition. Minor yes, but can be such a pain when vacuuming http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif
5. Compass in the rear view
6. Rain sensing wipers

Trysha, feel free to email me the photos at [email protected] if they're available. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done with your aftermarket system!

saabstory
04-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Great thread idea!

I agree with all of Coastal's. I'd add:

Factory window tint (offered in '02)
Haldex AWD(coming in '03, hopefully)
Moonroof pop-up air foil (to prevent the ear thumping when completely open)
Retractable sideview mirrors (not available in N. America)
Slightly more rear leg room (and driver while we're at it -- I've over 203cm)

That's all for now... http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

--Adam

coastal
04-02-2002, 09:01 PM
I was going to add tint and the Haldex too. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

When you say completely open, are you referring to "absolutely open", or the "one touch open". I find that if opened by just hitting the back button once there's absolutely no thumpin. This really impressed me at the start, as I can drive around with the sunroof open in colder weather and can barely sense the chill. I think the auto venting control helps matters by sensing the colder air up top and in turn sends warmer air through the windshied vents to counter the colder air. That may be wrong but whatever it does, it's one of my favorite features!

If you open the sunroof, then hit the button once again it opens another inch or so; at that point yes there is thumpin.

joeboy01
04-03-2002, 05:39 AM
I'd like to see a better performance.

edjike
04-03-2002, 06:28 AM
What about some better support for the turns.  too much roll.  Ability to change from radio to CD/tape on the wheel! Center arm rest that actually moves forward and backward so we can use it as a writing tool.

Falron
04-05-2002, 03:20 AM
They do add an internal handle to the tailgate when you have the third row seats fitted.At least they do in Australia. I don't know if its the ADR (Australian Design Rules) or the Volvo Design Rules (probably Volvo's)
Its strange but I read about people not liking the headlights - I find the headlights to be the best i have had on any of my vehicles. Maybe I 'm starting from a very low base or just easy to please!.

leonberger
04-05-2002, 08:22 PM
A clutch and a real manual transmission
The T5 engine

Also I heard that with the Volvo AWD system, if you blow a tire you would need to replace all 4 tires to allow the electronic
sensing system that governs the AWD to work properly.

Has anyone heard about this?

If it's true add it to my list of changes!

Craig
04-06-2002, 10:15 PM
Three things come to mind:

1)  Manual Transmission

2)  Weather band on the radio

3)  Capability to select individual preset radio stations without sequencing through all of them.

Craig in Colorado

downunder
04-07-2002, 01:51 AM
Things I would change?

Well you may be interested to know that in the Australian market a full size spare is supplied with 01 cross country.  The only problem is that it is a major operation to get it out.
1. open rear floor cover (having removed the carpet)
2. remove plastic tray
3. open and remove forward rear floor cover (pull out from push fitting)
4. use the 10mm spanner supplied in the tool kit to undo and remove the 4 bolts holding the rear floor cover in place
5. remove rear floor cover
6. ease wheel out directly upwards - it is a tight fit
7. reassemble whilst checking the two floor covers are properly aligned.

Anyone else experienced this fiasco?

downunder
01 manual polar white XC70

PS - the manual is so much better than the auto

BenMeStephHer
04-09-2002, 06:08 PM
More leg room in the front.
Manual Tranny
More Power
Fog Lights in the rear
Low Range AWD? I guess low range is only for 4wd with a xcase

HeadXC
07-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Old topic but here is my two cents worth:
1. Load leveling shocks like in my 99
2. Real tires
3. Pwr psngr seat while key is off( i aggree)
4. tinted windows
5. Wheel options

Art
07-14-2003, 08:38 PM
Nice to see this topic surface again. What about seat warmers for the rear occupants? Better yet, seat coolers for those days when the mercury tops out. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

HeadXC
07-14-2003, 09:33 PM
Oh year seat coolers are awesome, had some in a rental about a year ago.

xclogan
07-14-2003, 09:43 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (trysha @ April 02 2002,16:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">oh yeah&#33; and opening for the tailgate from the inside.&lt;p&gt;what if you have the 3rd seat and put kids back there,
THen get into an accident The kids can&#39;t get out without help, or crawling over the seat&#33; Great safety feature there volvo&#33; When i was little my dad&#39;s station wagon had this. I used it to get out all the time.&lt;p&gt;I mean, i understand them not wanting kids to open it and fall out into the road - but that problem can be solved by locking the doors.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
That&#39;s one of the main reasons I got a 99 XC versus a 2001+ model&#33;

littlewaywelt
07-15-2003, 06:24 AM
-biggest thing would be manual transmission offered in US
-I&#39;d like to be able to use the steel barrier or cargo net in conjunction with the third row seat when I get it. &nbsp;ie-relocate the rear seatbelt high anchor points.
-a weather band in the radio.
-a cold air vent like saabs used to have so that you can have heat coming out on your feet and all over the car, but have cool air blowing on your face to keep you fresh on long drives
-a list/index of all alterable features &amp; things you can do/change by holding buttons down, etc. in the manual for quick reference
-additional colors of plastic body cladding
-seat coolers like saab &amp; benz
-a lockable transfer case
-one touch button for up-down for all windows at the same time
-standard full size spare
-more space for storage under the rear cargo area and/or cubby slots in the back plastic in the cargo area
-a more powerful engine
-air curtain that protects the occupants in cargo area
-on star that automatically calls 911 if the airbags deploy or if the vehicle rolls.

roncar
07-15-2003, 07:45 AM
http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif Flat plastic master key w/chip that you can carry in wallet like BMW. Cost is &#036;29 to replace but comes gratis when you get car along with other keys.

gary
07-15-2003, 02:12 PM
I have the 3rd row seat and am not sure if there is a handle on the inside of the tailgate or not - I&#39;ll check and post back.

Things I would change (if I could):

Bi-Xenon headlights
Option for same cladding/paint color schemes
Ability for rear side windows to pop out (similar to what they have on minivans)
Power tailgate

Willy
07-15-2003, 03:52 PM
My list may seem long, just details however&#33;
Things I would change:
- decent clock (analog)
- possibility to set temperature with only one know
- no handle bar (and no alu looking scratch prone door openers)
- being able to remove the rear headrests
- no roofrails
- being able to close the car without arming the burglar alarm
- infrared shields in windows
- the possibility to change a number of Vadis settings by the owner
- a safety belt warning for the passenger seat
- I agree about the manual tranmission, it&#39;s good (have one)

What I would not change:
- no xenon lights http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif
Willy

emil
07-16-2003, 08:47 AM
My wish list is as follows:

- a double clutch automatic gearbox (such as in BMW or new Audi A3) &nbsp;it allows for no loss of power when changing gears. I would rather not get back to manual, for those who miss it I would recommend having ECU flashed as with the extra power deficiencies of the GT are less pronounced - usually you get enough power from the converter without forcing it to downchange, and therefore you are less often exposed to the &quot;wait, wait, wait .... downchange&quot; effect after steping on it.
- height + comfort adjustable suspension (crossing Allroad with R http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif ))
- a better steering systems
- stabiliser and stiffer shocks for rear (which I am trying to get)
- T5 sport seats
- tailgate lock accesible from the outside
- an indicator for how long I should idle the engine to let the turbo to cool down/lubricate which would take into account the type of driving I was doing
- more tint on all windows

kayaking
07-16-2003, 09:42 AM
· Things I’d like to see: I agree with lots of the issues from prior posts and &nbsp;I will take some of them (you know which ones are yours if you are reading this) and repeat them here for further emphasis and add more items. Of course, with all of these goodies…up go the prices…right??&#33;&#33;
· Compass
· Weather-band channel
· Improved location (visibility) and operation of trip computer, avg mpg, etc., distance till empty, &amp; reset operation
· Full size spare
· Operable seats when key is off
· One switch for all windows down and up simultaneously
· More storage in rear compartment side panels
· Option for interior roof liner storage netting (as on Land Rovers)
· Better placement of front tow hooks…eliminating the plastic “plugs” from the bumper. What’s behind the 3rd plug?
· Improvements to details within owners manual….(what’s “in” the tool kit?), how specifically to use the “W” mode on the Geartronic system, this is not detailed enough; better clarity on the operation of radio controls and all controls…I like the list idea (littlewaywelt)
· Improve the operation of the center armrest on rear seat…when lowering center headrest, it’s easy to catch and pinch your fingers, when flipping armrest over…the children’s car seat hook sticks into the upholstery, or has to be removed. Can’t easily flip seat back up.
· Dashboard reflecting into windshield….This needs to be Eliminated and / or corrected
· Rear lift gate should automatically lock after closing the gate when the rest of the car is locked.
· An indicator for how long I should idle the engine to let the turbo to cool down/lubricate which would take into account the type of driving I was doing
· Interior light “kill” switch…for all interior lights…(not just ceiling lights)
· Tighter attachment latches for the rear compartment under-floor storage tray
· More secure attachment of tool kit and jack / jack handle in rear compartment
· Two tow hooks in tool kit…not just one
...and I have hardly driven the car&#33;&#33; Just a wish list...I&#39;m happy with it and still exploring it&#33;

gary
07-16-2003, 01:15 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">gary Posted on July 15 2003,14:12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the 3rd row seat and am not sure if there is a handle on the inside of the tailgate or not - I&#39;ll check and post back.
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I can verify that for MY2003&#39;s for the North American market and equipped with the third row seat there is indeed a lever on the inside of the tailgate that allows one to open it.

mrb
07-17-2003, 01:58 AM
Full size spare (did this thanks to Barry)--no reason to have a tire which has to be changed within 80 miles when there is an alternative to having full tire.

Non-glare dash (this should be an easy fix)

Auto locking doors when car is in drive.

kayaking
09-28-2003, 07:26 PM
Love the car...just some more things I&#39;d like to see engineered into it...more &#036;&#036; of course...that&#39;s the trade off.&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
a) Lights for the drivers seat &quot;position 1-2-3 control and memory switches&quot;.
b) Removable rear passenger cup holders...they are &quot;in the way&quot; of extra storage space in the center console.
....more later