PDA

View Full Version : 2001-2002 XC70 Replaced Transmission but Fixed??

slione
11-28-2012, 10:38 AM
I read all about the issues with 01-02 XC70 transmissions. I recently bought a 2002 XC and at some point in the car's history it looks like the transmission was replaced (the metal case is smooth and cleaner vs. the engine block which has a "patina" and pitting).

Would the issues with the original transmission have been addressed with the new or rebuilt transmission or is it likely to be prone to the same problem? I ask as I had a Honda Odyssey once that had a transmission recall. While Honda replaced the transmission, they did so with the same faulty transmission (it was a fundamental flaw) so it was just a matter of time before the new one would experience the same problem (which it did).

Thanks.

Astro14
11-28-2012, 12:33 PM
If this unit was rebuilt by a decent shop, it will be fine. By 2003, the problems with the transmission had been identified and the updates were on production. Those updates (valve body) should be in yours, they're not new...not like your Honda experience...if this box shifts well, then no need to worry. You might want to change the fluid and do so on a regular basis, say every 30 - 50 thousand miles...

JRL
11-28-2012, 01:04 PM
An 03 valve body will NOT be in an 02
Part of the new VBs are new solenoids and they do not match up with your TCU

slione
11-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Thank you for the info Astro14!

An 03 valve body will NOT be in an 02
Part of the new VBs are new solenoids and they do not match up with your TCU

JRL: Forgive my ignorance. What is a TCU? Are you saying that the corrective valve body modifications would not have been utilized in the my trans rebuild?

JRL
11-28-2012, 08:36 PM
That is correct

slione
11-28-2012, 08:51 PM
OK. Then when my transmission was either replaced or rebuilt (assuming the latter), I have the same faulty VB design that was in the original trans and may very well expect slipping issues to rear their ugly head again? That's a bummer. :( Other than fluid changes, are there any preventitive measures one can take to extend the life of the 01 and 02 transmissions?

coflynn
11-29-2012, 07:07 AM
Other than fluid changes, are there any preventitive measures one can take to extend the life of the 01 and 02 transmissions?
If your TCM firmware is updated (e.g. no stop-neutral), I'd just do fluid changes occasionally and call it a day. People have 02 cars still running on stock transmissions, so you're already a leg up if it's been replaced, as then your TB & fluid is that much fresher.

slione
11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks coflynn. I'll do a fluid change before too long as it's dirty but not awful. With all the controversy about ATF changes in high-milage cars I think I'll go the route of changing it slowly over time. If once I get it all clean and red and if it is running OK, then I'll do full changes at around 40K intervals.

JRL
11-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Do it now, not later
The trick is keeping clean fluid in it and after that do a drain and fill every other oil change.
My wife has a 2000 V70R with the same transmission (actually the FIRST year!) but the PO started with Mobil 1 at 25K and flushed the tranny at 30K.
Then I flushed it at 57K when I bought it, and do drain and fills often
Now with 109K miles it shifts as new and is still original and my breather box is also original (and full of pressure) due to the frequent Mobil 1 oil changes
Most 2000 V70Rs have blown their trannies by now and have had their breather system renewed
40K is too long to do full fluid changes.
Once the fluid is completely changed out, doing a single drain and fill every 5-7000 miles is easier and effective

slione
11-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Great advice. Will do! Thanks again.