PDA

View Full Version : Change of radio unit

Hunter
05-07-2004, 02:35 PM
XC70 2004 - I need to get the old radio unit out and the new HU-803 in. I have found the starting point, "the pen holder" and the two torx schrews but then...what and how? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/devil.gif

barrysharp
05-07-2004, 04:28 PM
I believe you simply have to pull it firmly but gently out and be aware the unit is quite heavy so be prepared to support it as comes out.

Unplug wires and place new unit into same opening.

This is what I recall seeing my mechanic do when replacing a malfunctioning HU803 in a previous Volvo I owned.

Hunter
05-08-2004, 03:44 AM
"I believe you simply have to pull it firmly but gently out and be aware the unit is quite heavy so be prepared to support it as comes out."

I do not dare to do that.... the AC part seems to be stuck... and before I can remove that it is impossible to get to the radio.

Willy
05-08-2004, 06:11 AM
Hello,
Barry is right, you have to pull the ac unit out, I think it is important to pull on the underside first, where you removed the two screws under the penholder. It then slides outwards. It is wise to have a soft cloth on the center console to avoid scratches. I even think there was a thread about removing the ac unit on this forum (for cleaning the fan of the temperature probe I think) with pictures included. I have done it a myself a few times, but I can't help you any further since I don't have Volvo audio but a DIN panel with third-party audio. If it really doen't work out I can retrieve the info from Volvo doc's if you have some patience, my pc is down for the moment.  (and put the gearstick out of the way).
Good luck,
Willy